External monitor/LCD tv for unibody MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nokia n90, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Nokia n90 macrumors newbie

I purchased a 15" unibody mbp about a month ago.I am planning on doing some iphone development together with game model design,so i would really need the extra screen estate simply because you can't work or enjoy on a 15" display.So i would like to buy an external monitor for it,i really like the cinema displays and i have a great deal on a 20 inch model,but i also have a ps3 that i would like to connect to it for playing.So i really don't know what to do i am thinking about a samsung t240HD seems like aa good monitor and it has hdmi for the ps3.Please share your thoughts recommendations.

2. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Have you checked out the Dell ultrasharps? They'll offer better image quality for games and your blu-rays compared to that Sammy, but at a compromise of a bit of input lag, most likely not enough to notice unless your FPS gaming.

I am looking to do the same thing you are, and I just picked up the 2709W on friday when they were having a huge ass sale. Got it for $550 compared to the original $999 CAD.

3. Nokia n90 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well dells are not an option since they cost twice as much as the samsungs,and i would like to spend that kind of money on it.
    I am alson considering a full hd samsung hdtv that i could use for both of them and a have large screens real estate.

4. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

Oh ok, gotcha. Well anyway, the T240HD is a good choice then, I hear it has one of the best TN panels around. And it also does 1:1 pixel mapping (Non-HD version does not do this), so for your PS3/Blu-ray, it won't stretch the picture vertically. The remote is a nice touch too.

About HDTVs, as a PC monitor, I wouldn't look at anything lower than 1080p, since anything lower than that makes the image very grainy and blurry, not to mention HUGE. 1080p works well, but try to keep the size down to potentially lower than 40" if you want it to look good and crisp as a PC monitor, unless you're sitting far away from the screen. I find that PC monitors have a better ability to be a TV rather than the other way around.