External Monitor on MBP1,1 with Vista

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by No1nfoProvided, Aug 18, 2010.

1. No1nfoProvided macrumors 6502

I have a problem where my external monitor can't be detected when plugged into my MBP1,1 (ATI Mobility X1600). I'm running Vista SP2 with full updates for it and 10.6.4. My monitor (Hanns-G HG281D) is connected to my MBP by VGA cable and through a DVI to VGA adapter (OEM). I tried a search, but I couldn't find anything. Feel free to link me if you do please (and sorry I didn't search hard enough).

Edit: The monitor is detected and everything; it's just that there it indicates there is no signal input, and I have tried extending the desktop, mirror mode, and disabling my MBP display to no avail

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Can you try another VGA monitor with the same cables? To rule out the cables?

B

3. No1nfoProvided thread starter macrumors 6502

If it works on the Mac side of things, would the cables be ruled out?

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Not necessarily. For the mini-DVI to VGA adapter there was a pin that needed to be removed from the VGA connector to make it work under Windows.

B

5. No1nfoProvided thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmm. I think I'll try the DVI to HDMI cable and see if things are square. Would removing a pin on the VGA connector have any adverse effects on anything else? o_O I'll try to google the problem for more info, but if you have a link or something, it would be greatly helpful. Thanks for all the help/info balamw.

EDIT: Tried it with a DVI to HDMI cable and IT WORKS! WOW. Lemme look up more info about the VGA connector and see if I could get that to work. My PS3 is taking up the lone HDMI slot on my monitor right now.

EDIT 2: http://nookkin.com/content/allowing-any-screen-resolution-on-vista.php
    Is PIN#12 the one I should be removing? According to that article, it is. It even has a response from a Mac user too.

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

This is what I was remembering, and it doesn't look like pin 12. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=233767

Personally I would try to find a single cable that does what I need from the fine folks at monoprice. e.g. http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10209&cs_id=1020905&p_id=5910&seq=1&format=2 and mangle that if need be.

B

7. No1nfoProvided thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, thanks a lot for your help balamw. I think I decided on an HDMI switcher because it isn't really feasible for me to keep swapping cables whenever I have to swap OS's. I'll just wait for one to go on sale and just live with swapping the HDMI out whenever I want to play my PS3.

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Monoprice has lots of those cheap and good too.

B