External Monitor Question New Macbook Pro FCP

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by crot0019, Mar 9, 2010.

1. crot0019 macrumors newbie

Hey guys first post on here!!! Just wondering about options for an external monitor to go with my new macbook pro i'll be getting soon. I'm using FCP with 1080i HDV footage from the HVR Z1u In PAL format. Is something like the Dell Ultrasharp the way to go?? I tried posting on another forum and i got told about Matrox boxes which really confused me...

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The current MBPs support a resolution of 2560 x 1600 on external 30" monitors.

There is no need for any Matrox box, only the appropriate miniDisplayPort to DVI/VGA adapter.

Unless you want to view your canvas (video) on an external TV, you might need a video out box, but that you can also use a miniDisplayPort to video/HDMI adapter for that and select some option in Final Cut Pro.

What exactly do you want to do?
    And what Mac and FCS version do you have?

3. crot0019 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I want to edit my timeline on the MBP and have the canvas on the monitor.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Only the canvas?
    Then an HDTV might suffice, as it offers the proper resolution of 1920 x 1080, and your image might look more like it will on another HDTV.

But you can also use a normal computer monitor, be sure that it supports 1920 x 1080 at least.

5. crot0019 thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah well i guess I would look at other stuff but primarily it's what it would be for The Dell UltraSharp 2408WFP 24" looks good to me? Will I have problems displaying the interlaced footage though?? I dunno i heard somehwere that this can be a pain...

6. psycodriver macrumors newbie

Interlaced is going to look the same on any monitor. You going to have the blur no matter what, its the nature of interlaced. You can de-interlace the footage in FCP or After Effects. The only down side is this can make some images softer in some cases. But, it still looks better then interlaced if you have a lot of movement. If you looking at the dell then look at a refurbished 24" Cinema display. Then you'll have power and everything for your mac book. But, they are both good displays.

7. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

If you just want more desktop space any good computer monitor will do. If you want to get an accurate idea of what your footage really looks like and what it will look like on a TV you'll need a broadcast monitor (or at the very least ballpark it w/a nice HDTV) and a device like the Matrox MXO or MXO2 to get the video signal out of your MBP and into the b'cast monitor.

If you are only working w/computer monitors and FCP's Canvas window you'll have to tolerate looking at interlaced footage displayed inappropriately. If you set the Canvas window size to anything but 100% FCP will only display one field so you aren't looking at interlace jaggies all the time in the footage, but any text or gfx you put in the timeline will look janky.

Lethal

8. Deanerj macrumors newbie

Fantastic post! I was curious if it is possible to display the canvas window to Hdtv from a regular MacBook? Even more complicated lol is there a way to connect a external monitor as well for editing in fcp instead of the laptop display?

Thanks
    Dean

9. DaSoundGuy macrumors newbie

DaSoundGuy

I'm running FCS3 on my MBP and using an older Dell 2405FPW for more desktop area. I have the Dell screen set as my main screen and the MBP as the extended desktop. I run FCP standard view on the Dell and set the MBP as my monitor out using the Digital Cinema Desktop Preview setting within FCP.

Works really well for capture (MiniDV & AVCHD to ProRes), editing and reviewing but not great for colour correction. Defo need to follow LethalWolfes' advice and get a broadcast monitor if you intend on doing anything other than the most basic correcting.

Also, make sure you get a MBP with the 512MB PCIe video option - the 256MB PCI chip has to work hard to drive all that lot, especially if you're going to be editing HD footage.

Good luck!