External Monitor won't sleep (2011 iMac and Asus PA249Q)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by eoren1, Jan 4, 2015.

1. eoren1, Jan 4, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2015

eoren1 macrumors 6502

I have a mid-2011 27" iMac that, since day 1, has had an external monitor attached (TB to DVI). That NEC 20" worked well and I used it vertically as a web browser display/window.

Decided to upgrade and chose the Asus PA249Q as it is rated highly for its 99% aRGB gamut. The screen arrived yesterday and is beautiful and seems to do a better job of matching prints after being calibrated.

One major (deal breaker) issue is that the Asus will not sleep when the iMac does. If I use the ctrl-shift-eject shortcut to put the iMac display to sleep, the Asus seems to sleep as well but one second later I see the amber on signal turn to white and the screen turns on with a DVI No Signal message. That cycles every second - on/off/on/off.

I searched and saw some possible solutions with putting the computer to sleep (farther than just the monitor) but that didn't work either.

At this point, I need to physically turn off the Asus monitor whenever I put the iMac to sleep or leave the office where it resides. Again, never had this happen with the old NEC attached the same way. The iMac has always been a bit funny about staying asleep itself but the external never seemed to be the issue before.

I'm still on 10.9.5 Mavericks by the way (waiting for 11.1 before jumping to that one).

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks!

E

2. eoren1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Solved! Borrowed a Mini Display port to full Display Port cable and it works!

Must be a DVI issue...