external storage and Apple TV?

wfriedwald

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 1, 2017
a friend of mine bought an apple TV box last summer - I imagine this is the Second Generation. (?)

Question: does anybody know if there is any way to attach a flash drive or a USB drive to the Apple TV box and play content from video or audio files?

I keep thinking that there must be a way ... or maybe not??

thanks!

w

CarlJ

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
There's no way officially (or unofficially that I've heard of) to plug in external storage to the Apple TV - it is meant to be a network streaming box. If what you have really is a 2nd generation AppleTV, it's quite old - those shipped in September 2010 and were superseded by the 3rd gen in March 2012. The current 4th gen shipped in October 2015, a year and a half ago.

The 2nd and 3rd generations had a fixed set of apps/icons, provided by Apple, and you could only rearrange or hide them.

The 4th gen introduced a proper 3rd-party App Store, and you can download all sorts of apps. Including Infuse, Plex, and VLC, which are all designed to stream video (or audio) from a local network server, and do so quite well (Kodi is the major player that's missing - there are tutorials for how to shoehorn it onto the AppleTV, along with many complaints of trouble doing so, since it isn't coming in through the front door - there are better devices for running Kodi).

Streaming from a local network drive is the approach most people take these days (why move content to flash drives and plug them in when you get a multi-terabyte NAS for under $150, drop that on your network, and throw all your video there?). Note that you could also stream from your existing networked Mac/PC, as well, for no cost.

wfriedwald

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 1, 2017
thanks ...

I'm thinking the best idea may be to get a $60 bluRay player with a USB port, and play movie files that way.

but maybe a NAS drive ... I've never really used one of those, and this has the added complication of me having to mess with a friend's set-up, rather than my own.

thanks for the info!

w

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.