external video monitor, can i create my own resolution?? edit the current options?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by zipper1022, Jun 27, 2007.

1. zipper1022 macrumors regular

okay i have a color video monitor hooked up to my macbook pro via the dvi port and an s video cable. I want to know if there is a way to edit the optional resolutons of my video monitor. the "best" option i have now makes my video windows squeeze veritically and they do not have the correct aspect ratio. becasicalyl becasue my options for resolutions are not the same ratio as my current resolution on my macbook pro. Is there a program that i can change the resolution on output video monitors so there wont be as much squeezing?

2. bmb012 macrumors 6502

3. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

First of all, why do you have it connected via DVI and S-video? One or the other would help us determine what exactly you're talking about here.

Sometimes, the sqeeze effect (if this is on a CRT monitor) is due to a bad refresh rate setting. I'm wondering if this might be the case since you are calling it a "video monitor", as in editing equipment. If not, and it's an LCD, try what bmb012 suggested.

4. zipper1022 thread starter macrumors regular

i have the "dvi to video adapter" hooked up to my macbookpro, form there i have an svideo cable running to a color video monitor (aka and editing tv)

idk if that makes a difference i just want ot now have such a bad aspect ratio change.

5. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Ah ok, that makes a little more sense. What is your refresh rate set at? You might try increasing it. I don't know how high of a resolution you'll be able to get out of a vid monitor. Probably not much.

6. zipper1022 thread starter macrumors regular

its annoying i tried that program but i cant find a good resolution that works, and i made my own and it got all screwy... i just want to stretch the image on the vid omnitor , it seems so simple but i cant get it to work...

maybe someone knows..

i have my vid monitor set at

1024x768 60hz, and the images are all stretched vertically a bit making widescreen video look like a square. what resoution would i want to make it look more correct?