Extra $19 Lightning to USB Cable....Is it worth it??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GREEN4U, Nov 1, 2012.

1. GREEN4U macrumors 6502a

It's 3:00pm and I'm looking at my iPhone battery which has 30% battery left. I charge it every night. The campus bookstore has one more Lightning to USB cable that I'm strongly considering buying to use at school/my lab bench - rather than unplugging it from my bedroom everyday.

I dont know though...$19 for a cable I already own. Is an extra one worth it?

2. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

It is, if you are willing to pay the small premium for the added convenience. I have a total of 3 of the said. Never need to either look for one nor remember to carry one around.

3. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

I have four lightning cables. One connected always to my iMac, one in a wall charger in my room, one in my car and one at my girlfriends house.

4. TSKY74 macrumors regular

TSKY74

Got three here. Home, work bag, car....never know when you're going to need some charge.

5. aphexacid macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

its all about convenience. Is $19 worth it for you to not have to unplug the one you already have, every day?

We all have to keep in mind that while yes, we do have about 300 of the old 30 pin usb cables laying around....But thats because we accumulated them after 10 years of buying idevices.

in a couple more years, we'll have a ton of lightning cables as well lol.

I only bought 1 extra. I will buy another one when im out and about so i can keep it in my car

6. foam macrumors member

I have a total of 4 between me and my GF. I figured $19 to have an extra cable is better than running around looking for that one cable. We have 2 next to our bed, and 1 hooked up to the computer and 1 in our car for our car charger. Basically everywhere we go, there's a lightning cable for convenience.

7. richmds macrumors regular

For me no, the battery drain is not as bad as the 4 and at the end of the day I never go below 40. Good enough for me.

8. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

I think it's worth having a spare. I might not buy a third without a specific reason, but I didn't hesitate to buy one spare, you never know when a cable will break or get pinched or what-not.

9. solo118 macrumors 65816

Well worth the investment.

Think about how many iPhone cables you have at home/car/office etc. That is after so many years of the same wire.

Now the same cable will be used going forward, so its not like they will be useless to other iOS devices.

10. LearnIIBurn macrumors member

Dude I was in the EXACT same situation! I just got my iPhone 5, forgot the cable and charger block at home, had my original charger block for my 4 with me. Went to the campus bookstore and bought the 19$ lightning cable with about 25% battery left...

So weird.

I don't regret buying the cable at all though I just leave it at work hooked up to a USB hub.

11. saud0488 macrumors 6502

for 309 dollars more you can get an iPad with it.

12. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

This thread reminds me to purchase an additional cable and toss it into my Timbuk 2 bag for travel purposes.

13. GREEN4U thread starter macrumors 6502a

14. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

Lol . . . Good for you. Now, you have more options.

15. aphexacid macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

Hmmm....Best option i say.

16. alexander25 macrumors regular

you probably spend $20 on lunch when you can spend $5 on groceries and prep your own food.

i bought an extra one that i leave in my car/take with me to work. one stays at home

17. bwhli macrumors 6502a

bwhli

I have six of them between my house, car, and backpack for school. Never have to go searching around for one!

18. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

19. Skyjacker07 macrumors newbie

I have 2 fixing to buy a 3rd, it's not a hassle to use just one I did for a while then every once in a while I have to rush around for work or what not, then I'll forget to grab mine so just bought another cable so it wouldn't matter if I forget.

20. WesCole macrumors 6502a

It was worth it for me to grab an extra cable. I keep it in my truck, since my truck is never far from where I am.