Extract & Restore Messages on Clean 5.1.1

Lazer90210

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2010
I am running iOS 5.0.1 on my iPhone 4 and want to do a clean update to 5.1.1 because I have a conflict of some sort that causes my phone to respring to safe mode after random phone calls (both made or received). I know the conflict is also kept in the backups because I still get the error after updating from 4.3.3 to 5.0.1, so restoring from a backup is out of the question.

I would like to keep my SMS/iMessages, so, does anyone know if there is a way that I can backup and restore these to my new 5.1.1 install?

Thanks in advance!

Shadowbech

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2011
Apple iPhone World
There are third party program out there that lets you extract your text messages, all you need to do is Google search. But other than that if you do a clean install, yes you will lose everything, there is no separate back up for text messages.

Comment

Dkorda

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012
Just use the backup and restore in iTunes. Worked for me, saved all my SMS/iMessage items..

Comment

JMC08

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2011
Can someone name some programs that allow you to do this, but also make it easy to import texts/contacts after restoring as new?

Comment

andybno1

macrumors 68040
Nov 6, 2007
Liverpool, UK
Can someone name some programs that allow you to do this, but also make it easy to import texts/contacts after restoring as new?
see my last reply thats a good response

http://www.technipages.com/transfer-text-messages-from-one-iphone-to-the-other.html

follow that only instead tick the Library/SMS/sms.db export..... select only check files and make sure the second tick box is ticked aswell click ok.... restore iPhone to clean delete old backup..... backup clean install..... back to ibackupbot open the new backup an file --> import select your sms.db.info file then click file --> restore and it will restore your texts after a minute an all set to go

Last edited:
Comment

JMC08

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2011
see my last reply thats a good response

http://www.technipages.com/transfer-text-messages-from-one-iphone-to-the-other.html

follow that only instead tick the Library/SMS/sms.db export..... select only check files and make sure the second tick box is ticked aswell click ok.... restore iPhone to clean delete old backup..... backup clean install..... back to ibackupbot open the new backup an file --> import select your sms.db.info file then click file --> restore and it will restore your texts after a minute an all set to go
This worked. Thanks very much.

Comment