Extract & Restore Messages on Clean 5.1.1

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Lazer90210, May 25, 2012.

1. Lazer90210 macrumors newbie

I am running iOS 5.0.1 on my iPhone 4 and want to do a clean update to 5.1.1 because I have a conflict of some sort that causes my phone to respring to safe mode after random phone calls (both made or received). I know the conflict is also kept in the backups because I still get the error after updating from 4.3.3 to 5.0.1, so restoring from a backup is out of the question.

I would like to keep my SMS/iMessages, so, does anyone know if there is a way that I can backup and restore these to my new 5.1.1 install?

Thanks in advance!

2. Lazer90210 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

There are third party program out there that lets you extract your text messages, all you need to do is Google search. But other than that if you do a clean install, yes you will lose everything, there is no separate back up for text messages.

4. Dkorda macrumors 6502

Just use the backup and restore in iTunes. Worked for me, saved all my SMS/iMessage items..

5. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

ibackupbot worked for me, I restored messges & call history whilst keeping a clean restore

6. JMC08 macrumors regular

Can someone name some programs that allow you to do this, but also make it easy to import texts/contacts after restoring as new?

7. andybno1, May 27, 2012
    Last edited: May 27, 2012

andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

see my last reply thats a good response

http://www.technipages.com/transfer-text-messages-from-one-iphone-to-the-other.html

follow that only instead tick the Library/SMS/sms.db export..... select only check files and make sure the second tick box is ticked aswell click ok.... restore iPhone to clean delete old backup..... backup clean install..... back to ibackupbot open the new backup an file --> import select your sms.db.info file then click file --> restore and it will restore your texts after a minute an all set to go

8. JMC08 macrumors regular

This worked. Thanks very much.

9. Jahore macrumors newbie

Does it work for iOS 6? I will get an iPhone 5.