Extremely dissapointed in Apple QC with the iPhone 5...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lawlbringer, Oct 13, 2012.

1. lawlbringer macrumors regular

So I go to the Apple store today to swap out my new iPhone 5 that I could not return to it's original retailer due to being out of the return policy period. My biggest issue was my signal strength was pretty low, and compared to my girlfriends 4 and the Apple rep's 4S, it was not normal. I had already swapped the nano-SIMs, so the guy swapped the phone out for me...only problem was - the 2 phones he brought out(which I saw him open the seal of) were in awful shape.

I'm talking very noticeable dings, not tiny hard to notice spots. The last phone I ended up being stuck with, has 4 cosmetic issues...one ding on the top by the power button, but deep nick by the speaker, scuff on the lightning port connector, and a STAIN mark on the top of the metal too. These were all "inspected by Apple engineers" beforehand also, or so I was told. I guess they need new glasses or new eyes. These were white phones too!

This is beyond inexcusable. No, not because I can't live with it, more so that it's resale value is worse when I, an HONEST person, put in the listing that it has marks that I didn't put on it. Whenever you put anything like that, you will be offered less, be haggled more, or even have someone refuse/return the sale if you DON'T mention it. I don't want to have to deal with that crap, and I would like my new unit to actually look like a new unit and not like it's already a year old. These factory dings are worse than what most people would put into them from just normal use without a case!

At this point, I'm not sure what to do...I'd like to go back, but I doubt they'll help me anymore at this point. Oh, and this phone must have a poor antenna because I still only get 2-3 bars most of the time when my old 4 got 4-5 in the same areas. I was inside the AT&T and Apple store's and where everyone else was getting 5 bars, I had 2.

Should I call Apple and demand they send me a newer unit? These replacements are probably early flawed units, or I'm just really unlucky. My AT&T reception with this phone is also poor, and it drains the crap out of my battery.

2. bwhli macrumors 6502a

bwhli

I went through five phones in the past few days. I got mine on launch day. They were all legitimate issues. Dust showing up in pictures taking with the camera. Speaker not working, etc. I finally got in touch with executive relations, and they're taking care of me.

3. lawlbringer thread starter macrumors regular

So did you keep going to the store? Or did you end up calling customer care over the phone to get escalated to that point?

Very annoyed by this, I hate driving to this Apple store because it's in one of the busiest areas of Northern Virginia, a traffic nightmare.

4. Ivabign macrumors 6502

Ivabign

You mention your 4 and 4S was getting 4 bars and the 5 was only getting 3 - was this with LTE? I would think comparing reception between 4/4S and the 5 would be like Apples and Oranges (sorry for the pun)

5. lawlbringer thread starter macrumors regular

Switching LTE on and off didn't make a difference, I tried. Most of the time I had LTE off.

6. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

I do not doubt that the replacement units were in poor condition. However, under what circumstances did you feel you were required to be " stuck " with a less than acceptable unit? Did you want the phone that badly?

Possibly, you could have requested that it be noted that the available replacements were in unsatisfactory condition. As such, you would opt to wait until additional units were available.

7. lawlbringer thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I probably should've done that. I guess I didn't want to be difficult as the kid who helped me had to do the paperwork multiple times.

Guess I'm screwed? :(

8. phillyphill macrumors 6502

phillyphill

Tyson's isnt that bad:p

9. darster Suspended

Bars mean nothing. Do the field test and dial *3001#12345#* The bars will switch to dBm. Do that with an iPhone 4S too and compare. finally, are you in an LTE area? If yes, then you are displaying LTE strength while the 4 and 4S are displaying 4G (AT&T version of 3G) Could be different depending where the LTE and 4G towers are located.

10. dave006 macrumors 68020

You have a better chance in a retail store then via customer care. Easier to document any issues with the replacement unit and quicker then waiting for mail exchange and having them place a hold on your credit card for the full replacement cost. :eek:

Why did you accept the repalcement instead of just keeping your current iPhone 5 and trying a few days later?

There are also Apple stores at Fair Oaks and in Reston, you migh have better luck at a different store or even the same store with a different Genius.

Dave

11. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

Even Apple is disappointed in Apple's quality control.

12. lawlbringer thread starter macrumors regular

I did that also, iPhone 4S was around 80 and my replacement is at 100+ with a new sim too. LTE was off also at the time.

I shouldn't have settled for this, I know I know...

Can I get this replaced for cosmetic reasons also at another apple store? Or does it have to be the same location?

13. MasterDebator macrumors newbie

Turn on NBC right now and watch the SNL sketch, then quit your whining.

14. bwhli macrumors 6502a

bwhli

I wrote an email to tcook@apple.com. An executive relations person called the following day to talk to me about the situation.

15. darster Suspended

Ok. I wouldn't accept that either.

16. Kyleptrsn1 macrumors newbie

I'm sorry but is it weird that I'm on my first phone and it is in perfect condition? By reading this forum as of late I almost think I should be blessed...

17. scaredpoet, Oct 13, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2012

scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

No, it's not weird. The "I swapped my iPhone 3+ times" thread happens every product release, for varying reasons. Maybe some people are just really, really unlucky, or there might be other reasons behind it. Who knows? But frankly, if the QC was really that universally bad for everyone, Foxconn would be shuttering and declaring bankruptcy right now.

For everyone who's gotten 8+ bad iPhones, there's tens of thousands more who are happy with the first iPhone 5 they got, or maybe their second.

18. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

That skit was hilarious but they're not to blame for this mess.