Extremely weird anomaly in this photo

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wildonrio, Nov 10, 2012.

1. wildonrio macrumors 6502

So this is a picture of my niece. I took the photo without the flash on, but at the exact moment I took the photo, my sister took a photo using her handheld with a flash. The result is this. Can someone explain what happened here? It looks like we may have taken the photo at exactly the same moment in time, and my camera was in the middle of processing the photo without a flash and then processed the rest with the flash that came from my sister's camera. Any other ideas? This is really freaking me out.

Attached Files:

2. Lyshen macrumors 6502

Seen that too, happens when people are using flash at the moment you take a photo.

3. SanjeevRana macrumors 6502a

SanjeevRana

Well ... how can u get a straight line split in between for such event ... hmm

----------

Another issue I have is that your attached photo has no Camera Exif data which tells that it came from the iPhone ... did you do some editing or does the forum remove all exif from attachment ...

4. StephenAndrew macrumors member

Were you using HDR mode? Maybe one frame was taken pre flash, and another was taken during the flash, and the software used to merge the photos into one got confused. Just a guess...

5. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

It has to do with the way the shutter functions. Similar effects happen with airplane rotors too...

[​IMG]

6. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

The iPhone doesn't have a mechanical shutter like in the propeller pic above. I've never heard of an electronic shutter doing that. Interesting. :confused:

7. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Mechanical shutters don't do that. Electronic, or rolling shutters, do this every single time.

This is what happens when a once in a lifetime thing like the OP experienced, your phone vibrating because of a notification when you hit the capture button. Again, this is due to the rolling shutter.

[​IMG]

8. wildonrio thread starter macrumors 6502

Just uploaded the photo straight from my phone using mobile Safari.

----------

So what you're saying is that me and my sister took both our photos at literally the exact moment, just like I was thinking had happened?

9. vbtwo31984 macrumors regular

I had that happen on the iPhone 4 when other people were taking photos using a real camera with a flash.

10. Purple2012 macrumors member

This used to happen all the time with my OG droid.
    I could never get that thing to take a normal photo.