Exxon pipeline leaks thousands of barrels of Canadian oil in Arkansas

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by SilentPanda, Mar 31, 2013.

1. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/03/31/exxon-pipeline-spill-idUSL2N0CN00D20130331

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Wow. I had no idea it was running right through a nice neighborhood.

That'll wake a few people up to the potential hazard of oil pipelines.

3. flopticalcube, Mar 31, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2013

flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

If it doesn't go by pipeline, it goes by rail (yielding generous profit to one Warren Buffet) and as the article shows, that is no panacea either.

and if it doesn't come from your friendly neighbor to the north, it comes from dubious places across large oceans which, as Exxon has proven before, can also be hazardous.

I'll just add that its particularly ironic that its typical North American suburban planning like the neighborhood in the video that contributes greatly to America's oil addiction.

4. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Hope those folks have oil pipeline burst open insurance.

5. malman89 macrumors 68000

Probably the 'best' spill that might lead to some constructive dialogue about regulations and safety - little hard to ignore when it's flowing down your street and front yard.

6. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Probably won't need it. Exxon will be paying these people a nice sum of money to go away.

I'm from Arkansas and I'm sad to see this happen. This is the conservative south and this hasn't even phased the most staunch fans. The only way they'd probably think different is if it was running through their yard.

7. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

Exxon will cover this cost of the clean up here...as well they should.

8. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Nope. There is already a Keystone Pipeline that carries this form of oil to Vandalia, Illinois. The new Keystone Pipeline they are wanting to create will carry it directly to refiners in Texas so that it may be more easily loaded onto ships for export to China and NOT used in this continent.

The studies I have seen indicate that the new Keystone pipeline will actually raise oil prices in the US.

Thanks.

Actually, the law requires them to. They wouldn't otherwise.

9. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Interesting. I never mentioned Keystone nor did anyone else. What I have said applies to all pipelines in general. If Keystone XL doesn't go ahead, the oil will be shipped by rail across the US until either Northern Gateway is built or Trans Mountain is upgraded and the oil will go via tanker to China. None of these is without risk.

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

You people need to chill out on the oil industry bashing. Do you have any idea how many jobs oil leaks create?

11. SilentPanda thread starter Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

http://rt.com/usa/arkansas-spill-exxon-cleanup-244/

So apparently it's not technically oil... :rolleyes:

12. eric/ Guest

eric/

Obviously oil spills are bad, but what alternative do we have at the moment? You can't say renewable energy, because the tech isn't there.

13. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

What, are you saying we already have a pipeline that carries this crap from Canada? Why do we need the Keystone II pipeline? Wait a second, why do they call it Keystone II and not Keystone I? Why didn't they change the rules to make transportation of this stuff and the inevitable spills subject to the same rules that oil spills have? ***** GOP and their protectionism for oil companies... Grrr.

The level of silliness that those who support that stupid pipeline exhibit is truly staggering.

Eric/... yes, the tech isn't where it needs to be, but it is making massive strides and our dependence on foreign oil is shrinking for the first time in decades. Why double down on old technology when we have new technology we all know is going to be the wave of the future we can invest in now.

Do you realize China is investing heavily in the field? Do you really want us to remain behind them forever?

14. eric/ Guest

eric/

Well it's not really doubling down, it's making sure the economy keeps chugging along while we work on developing better fuel and energy technologies.

Why are you so paranoid of China?

15. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

The economy is continuing to "chug along" but would be doing so faster if we invested in US technology and research as opposed to sending our money overseas to buy oil. I'm shocked you don't understand that keeping money here is better than sending it elsewhere. I bet if we posted a poll, almost everyone would understand that simple concept. :rolleyes:

I'm not paranoid, I'm telling you the facts. China is spending a ton of money to catch up to the Neatherlands and others in fields like wind, solar, tidal, etc. Their investments today will give them an edge in the future unless we keep up. That's not paranoia, that's just reality.

Speaking of which, I think I understand your confusion in the other thread.

In this case, what I posted is actually based in reality, while fear of a police officer is pretty irrational. But hey, keep it up, I'm having fun.

16. eric/ Guest

eric/

Plenty of money is being invested. And that money isn't being lessened by people buying gas to power their cars or whatever.

Why is that better?

But why are you paranoid of China catching up? Why does it matter? What position should the Chinese be in? Last? 2nd? 18th?

17. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

That is just patently false. We are investing, but at a rate far smaller than China and others. The future is not going to be oil consuming vehicles and coal fired power plants. It will be something else, and whoever is on the bleeding edge will have an advantage. That's capitalism 101.

Ok, let me do what Republicans like to do. If this was your family, which is better. Giving an allowance to your child, or giving money to the kid down the street, or hiring a company from another city to mow your yard?

I'm not paranoid, I'm merely competitive. If we want to remain a vibrant economy, we need to act like it. They are passing us (as are others) in fields like education, math, science, engineering, development of alternative fuels, development of infrastructure, etc. etc. etc....

It isn't paranoia, but a desire to remain competitive. I don't want my country to become tomorrows 3rd world. (edit - I want my son to have the advantages my father had, even if the Reagan generation ruined things for mine.)

(edit2) Again, you should answer questions posed to you if you think it's ok to ask others questions. Although, after having dealt with you for some time now, I know what your motive is.

18. eric/ Guest

eric/

Haven't denied that,

Agreed

Sure.

But how does that address

?

If we just stopped buying oil right now, how would we power machines and equipment to even build whatever it is you're proposing to be built?

Well since global economics is almost incomprehensible to even the brightest minds, I'll venture to say that's a bit of a simplistic example that doesn't really demonstrate anything.

Idk. I guess since I'm not really nationalistic I don't have the same perceptions. If China grows to be the #1 economy, no big deal. I mean, I don't care one bit that the Netherlands is #1 in whatever you said they were in. So I don't really care if China takes it's spot.