Exxon scientists knew climate change was man-made, in 1977!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by PracticalMac, Sep 12, 2016.

1. PracticalMac, Sep 12, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2016

PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Exxon scientists knew climate change was man-made, in 1977!

Not only did they HIDE this knowledge, decades before it became an political issue, they also used it to plan contingencies and give themselves a competitive advantage by building for worse climate conditions,
    and all the time always denying the fact (still do) fossil fuels was the primary cause of climate change!

The is magnitudes worse then the tobacco industry denying the health problems caused by smoking since it effect everyone alive and yet to be born.

The most egregious thing is Exxon-Mobile is engaging their political defenders to fight for them (and it gets nastier as congress investigates states to stop Exxon investigations) instead of changing their position and do what all the other oil companies are doing. Completely unwilling to any change, like the NRA.

Totally idiotic of them, since it hurts their public opinion and delays transitioning to less carbon emitting technologies.

I hope they get serious burned.

Sources
    Los Angeles Times
    Bloomberg report
    Washington Post

ADDITIONAL: WP has a bunch of articles on this topic.

#ExxonKnew

======================

JUICY ADDITION:
    Lamar Smith (R-Texas)... issued subpoenas to Schneiderman; Massachusetts Attorney General Maura Healey, who’d launched her own investigation of Exxon; and eight nongovernmental organizations.
    "It’s unusual for a congressional panel to interfere with a pending state investigation, says Senator Sheldon Whitehouse (D-R.I.)"

SO, a member of the "Party of States Rights" (Republican) is using his power to force states investigating Exxons actions to kowtow.

2. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

..and all of the resistance to the notion of Global Warming that came from Conservatives has been based on the fear of how much it could cost to be responsible for one's, collective actions. They even came up with a new name for it in attempt to side step responsibility: Climate Change as if it was happening all by itself.

3. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

You mean it wasn't the leftists that changed the name to Climate Change because they were seeing how they were going to be wrong again with Global Warming like they were with Global Cooling in the 70's.

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

ha, the left wanted you to buy carbon credits , all of it goes away as long as you buy your carbon credits :rolleyes:
    the left is in cahoots with the right , they simply pretend not to be just to keep the lefties voting for them.

5. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

If you can't trust the guy that invented the internet to buy carbon credits off of then who can you trust?

6. APlotdevice, Sep 12, 2016

APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

7. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

scientist are irrelevant when they go against politicians wishes. politicians from BOTH sides want the U.S to be dependent on oil, why? the petrodollar. simple as that so yes democrats will pretend to care while not doing a damn thing about it other than bitch.

8. impulse462, Sep 12, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2016

impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

science works on empirical evidence and data. these aren't some stupid politicians flip flopping on ideas to cater to people.

interpretation of data necessitates conclusions. if new data shows something that the old data doesn't, a new conclusion has to be formed. this philosophy has been in place since aristotle. (EDIT: francis bacon)

people asserting that scientists who changed the name from global warming to climate change are "flip flopping" and acting as if it their lessens the validity of their claim, don't understand anything about how experimentation and observation work, and their opinions on the matter are entirely invalid.

9. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

10. DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

So the billions of years the climate was changing on this rock before man got here, to what do we attribute that to?

Them:We need to save the World.
    Me:Save the World, I thought that was a job for Jesus?
    Them:No, man is killing the World and we need to save it.
    Me:Well, I don't know, how do you plan on doing that?
    Them:With Tax.
    Me:With Tax?
    Them:Yes, a Carbon Tax!
    Me:No thanks, Jesus don't charge, Jesus saves, just saved me some money, he did.

11. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Most of the climate change that occurred over those billions of years was slow by our standards. It may have been "quick" in geological terms, but that still means thousands of years. Plenty of time for ecosystems to adapt.

The problem we face today is the RATE at which the climate is changing. It's not happening in thousands of years, or even hundreds of years. It's happening in decades! Much too quickly for life to adapt. When similar things happened in geological history, they were preceded by some kind of cataclysm, and resulted in major extinction events.

12. DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

..And I should be alarmed by this why?

This Carbon Tax is going to stop it, we get a money back guarantee?

Excuse me while my BS meter goes off. They'll tax carbon output and the climate will continue to change, just as it always has.

13. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Yes, because someone found a way to exploit something it must therefore be fake. Thus 9/11 must have been a conspiracy because people have found ways to exploit that.

14. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

ignorance is bliss

15. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Yes, American politics has pretty much become a blight on the health and safety of our species. :/

16. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

The Conservatives' proud history of side stepping responsibility alive and well today :D

17. PracticalMac, Sep 12, 2016

PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Example of the complete failure of the US education system to teach our younger people.
    Many high school graduates have fail to understand the fundamentals of science, so just believe whatever someone says.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 12, 2016 ---
    Agree,

Made worse by other countries doing what US does despite knowing better.

18. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

..well i'm a product of the US educational system (although i went to a private school so does that count) and all of my friends and people i know are pretty well-rehearsed in this, even if some don't have scientific-heavy careers.

i honestly think its more of a cultural thing

19. citizenzen macrumors 65816

No reason.

Please return to your regular programming, and don't concern yourself.

20. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

And this is the same argument I keep hearing against global warming.
    Some scientists collected data and built a model that predicted global warming.
    When new data came in that didnt support their model they threw out or massaged that data to make it fit their original conclusion.
    That is no longer science.

21. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

I was too broad, many don't understand scientific process.

22. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

Cal Worthington. I will always trust Cal Worthington. And his dog Spot.

23. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

China and Europe take climate change seriously. It would be foolish for America not to if it wants to keep up.

24. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

yeah i'm gonna need a source for that. also who made you the arbiter of what is and what isn't "science"

EDIT: also my other post was wrong. i know aristotle was an empiricist, but the modern scientific method originated with francis bacon i think.

25. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

China? really? source please.