Eye-strain while using iPhone X

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kitkad, Nov 6, 2017.

?

Are you experiencing this issue?

1. Yes

50.0%
  2. No

50.0%
  1. vannix macrumors member

I've tried anything, from running the phone at 100% brightness (avoiding the PWM modulation), to color filter, disabling True Tone, running only night shift, reducing the white point etc.

Same result!

2. Codybby1 macrumors newbie

Has anyone tried disabling faceID and seeing if there is a difference? I had the strangest "headache" the first day I started using my X. I haven't had my face buried in the phone too much the past few days to really notice but after reading this I feel fatigued looking at the phone. Part of me wants to believe it's just some sort of placebo effect from reading this thread.

3. wassup121 macrumors regular

Me too. I've been having a faint headache above eyes across head ever since last Friday. I wasn't sure if it was the screen or not.

4. acctman macrumors 65816

acctman

Turning off TrueTone worked for me...Also adjusted the brightness. But, yes I too had that problem. my eyes are fine now, I do think moving from a Plus to a smaller form it playing tricks with your eyes. I even had to turn off Contact icons in iMessage to give more space to messages.

5. wassup121 macrumors regular

True-Tone on my Ipad doesn't cause any issues for me. But will give this a shot

6. vannix macrumors member

It seemed the culprit, but now I disabled it and I get a really bad pain even without it, 0 brightness, black wallpaper on lock screen! When I press the power button looking at the screen I get pain in the eyes

7. acctman macrumors 65816

acctman

The iPad does not have the OLED screen. my eyes have adjust but it did take a few days

8. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Don’t understand this last part. A black wallpaper will turn off all the pixels, doesn’t matter what brightness level you set it to, all the pixels will be off.

9. vannix macrumors member

The clock and other texts are still there and disturbing, I agree that on a black photo I don’t feel this problem (covering all the screen)

10. gold///, Nov 9, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2017

gold/// macrumors regular

gold///

Alright, so after a bit of research, I think I've narrowed it down to the PWM brightness system. I originally thought it was the ghosting of the text that was causing our headaches, but now I'm 99% sure this is the main cause (As others have suggested).

Take a look at these slo-mo videos, look how awful this is:

Minimum Brightness:
    https://streamable.com/v3gsx

Maximum Brightness:
    https://streamable.com/txrgw

Note that even at max brightness, there's still slight flickering. Meaning that no matter how you change your settings, you will always have flickering. I also tested my old phone and my desktop computer with the same parameters, they looked nothing like this.

So now that I have a definite answer, is there any hope of this being addressed in a software update? Excuse my ignorance, I have no idea how displays work, or if it's possible to adjust PWM like that. The reason I ask is because I did see some software based solutions for Galaxy phones, old computers, etc.

11. AngelGuy7 macrumors regular

That is really good testing that you've done there! Thanks for proving that these displays are using PWM or have some other related flickering going on. I am also wondering if this could be fixed by a software \ firmware update of some sort or if this is locked in by the hardware.

12. blackberrycubed macrumors 6502a

Awesome job there! I am sensitive to PWM too and get headaches.

Be prepared to get " thats not scientific so not valid", "apple wont sell you screen with PWM", "get your eyes checked", "what flickering? all I see is the best best best apple screen in the world in those videos" kind of responses, apple cherry picked youtubers and media pundits in apples pocket also did not see it so how can this be true.... and so on and so forth.

13. vannix macrumors member

Good Job man, I've also tested this by comparing an iP6 and the X with the slo-mo technique and it is crystal clear, even at max brightness it is still flashing (faster, but still). I would also know if it is fixable via software, but I feel that no one is gonna do anything, as not everyone is affected, and they don't care if who can't feel this is stressing the eyes the same, the panels are this and the only supplier to meet their demand is Samsung, that hides the OLED defects by running them always at full brightness and slapping a PWM controller.

14. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Does the Pixel 2 XL have this same issue? Maybe that's why it had such problems, because it isn't masking it's defects by doing the flashing?

15. Kitkad thread starter macrumors member

Kitkad

How do you know there were software fixes for Samsung phones?

16. gold/// macrumors regular

gold///

I came across a thread where someone developed a PWM-Free kernel for the S7 Edge, apparently it worked really well. Unfortunately, we can't really use any unofficial mods like that without jailbreaking.

Anyway, what are you guys gonna do with your phones now that we know what the issue is? Seems like the only options are either to always use it at max brightness, return it, or put up with the headaches. I'm going to see if I can get used to it before the end of my return window. If I still have the problems, I guess I'm just going to return it.

Also, does this PWM situation worry you guys as much as it worries me? If the Super Retina display works for the majority of users, isn't it likely that they'll start using OLED (With PWM) on their other products as well? I'm really bummed about this, it essentially means I'm locked out of any new tech they release if they choose to go the OLED route.

Here's hoping Apple can somehow come up with a solution for us.

17. AngelGuy7 macrumors regular

I came across the same thread about the S7 Edge \ Android kernel mod, and how it fixed the PWM related problems. I also read elsewhere of people complaining about PWM related headaches on laptops and it being fixed with graphic driver changes... so HOPEFULLY there's a software fix to this problem that Apple could put out.

But it does concern me as well that Apple is going down this path with OLED screens. For now, I'm doing the same as you and trialing this during my return period to see if I can adjust to it. Even then, I question the long term effects on my eyes which, since you're only born with two, is the greatest concern for me.

18. techtechtech, Nov 10, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2017

techtechtech macrumors newbie

It is a concern since at some point in the not too distant future all new phones could be using a variation of OLED screen technology, I just hope that they will overcome this particular problem in due course. The iPhone 8 could be the last model that doesn't use an OLED style screen, interesting to know what percentage of iPhone X owners will experience eye strain or headaches from the technology being used in the current variant.

Personally I do like the blacks and contrast of AMOLED/OLED, also the battery life benefits, but the resulting headaches and dizziness are a show stopper for me unless the technology changes in future releases.

19. jimmy_uk, Nov 10, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2017

jimmy_uk macrumors regular

jimmy_uk

This has me concerned about my future with Apple as they will switch all devices to oled moving forward. I'm knee deep in with my iphone, watch and ipad pro.

20. majkom macrumors 65816

Exactly, you probably have better vision than the rest and thats why you see/sense flickering and have all those problems... i have it similar with plasma tv, Ive seen plasma flickering and could not stand it... and it is really funny when those who cant see it tell you to visit opthalmologist... really useful advice:)

21. blacksurfer macrumors regular

22. MacQork macrumors regular

MacQork

Btw you can't call a strong headache migraine, there are very obvious differences. Just a pet peeve of mine lol

23. gold/// macrumors regular

gold///

24. blackberrycubed macrumors 6502a

Yes, send feedback to apple, not likely they will do anything about it.

25. gold/// macrumors regular

gold///

If they get enough feedback from users that are having issues, it will at least put the PWM problem on their radar. It can't hurt to let them know.

Anyway, maybe there is hope after all: https://9to5mac.com/2017/11/10/iphone-x-jailbreak-demoed-video/

If someone was able to release a PWM-free kernel for the S7, maybe there's a chance someone could create a tweak that reduce the PWM effects. Let's hope that jailbreak gets released sooner than later.