Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Are you experiencing this issue?

• Total voters

stafil

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2017
iPhone XS is perfect in every way except one major issue...

I know I’m just complaining at this point. Anyone want to take any bets on if Apple will continue using PWM next year? It should be a “redesigned” model where this year was just an enhancement/speed bump year.
Anyone wants to take any bets that we will still buy anyway?

BigBen2493

macrumors regular
May 10, 2016
https://dev1.notebook-check.com/ind...del=1&screen_resolution=1&screen_panel_type=1
Preview:
47181771_734692666906425_9079129953970159616_n.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: gaanee

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
How was the x, Headaches and eye strain?

I mean I think you get acclimated if you have the phone for a while and don’t have like epileptic type intense reactions, but shifting back I felt it in limited periods of use in my eyes... but still can’t be good for one if you detect you experience a difference. Long term

The crammed scaling was bothersome too. 7+ was my pseudo daily to pair with series4 on iOS 12 as my x never left 11.3 , and going back to x / 4.7” ish scaling was bothersome

But I’m no doctor haha just a father of a dogg

And I didn’t like the blue shift or the finicky angles compared to my Xr either

One will have to pry lg 4K oled tv’s from my cold dead hands but I can deal without on phone. The xr is a great “im gonna upgrade anyways” device there is no longevity. But I’m now down to Xr and SE (2, one on 10.2 jailbroken other on iOS 12 as a backup)

BigBen2493

macrumors regular
May 10, 2016
I mean I think you get acclimated if you have the phone for a while and don’t have like epileptic type intense reactions, but shifting back I felt it in limited periods of use in my eyes... but still can’t be good for one if you detect you experience a difference. Long term

The crammed scaling was bothersome too. 7+ was my pseudo daily to pair with series4 on iOS 12 as my x never left 11.3 , and going back to x / 4.7” ish scaling was bothersome

But I’m no doctor haha just a father of a dogg

And I didn’t like the blue shift or the finicky angles compared to my Xr either
Just trying at the Apple store I felt my eyes get blurry after awhile

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Just trying at the Apple store I felt my eyes get blurry after awhile

It’s a ‘cracked out’ feeling I don’t care for

And hunting passively , not knowing but feeling it on my eyes, even tho the screen looks crisp color wise

I’m glad to have what I call “real” True Tone too. Since True Tone and oled sucks so much more often than not

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Real true tone?
Oled True Tone looks like vomit most of the time and 90% night shift vs the intended purpose of True Tone to feel like a neutral white in most lighting

Works spectacular on iPads since it’s inception and 8+ and Xr

In its current form it’s a bust on oled imo

Reactions: stafil

gaanee

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2011
Thanks.. good info. From that table, it seems even LCD screens notebooks are using PWM, so does it mean PWM not limited to OLED? Previously, it was reported that LCD use analog dimming which actually dims LED backlight to reduce brightness but OLEDs use PWM.
Also, what's the relation between brightness level and PWM? And if LCDs can dim its backlight OLED without PWM then why not use the same technique in OLED screens?

Maven1975

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
I want to add.. I have had to abandon the MBP line this year because of this issue.

It’s not just strain, it actually makes my eyes tired and or jittery causing slight anxiety after short periods of use.

Have switched reluctantly to a Lenovo X1C HDR Flicker Free display and can use that for hours without issues.

It stinks because now I don’t have my iMessage/FaceTime/Airdrop solution on PC.

Guess it’s one way to start weaning myself off the ecosystem.

And no, I will never, EVER, go to Samsung Touchwiz.

Testing out a Pixel 3 now..

The boredom is killing me with it!

stafil

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2017
Oled True Tone looks like vomit most of the time and 90% night shift vs the intended purpose of True Tone to feel like a neutral white in most lighting

Works spectacular on iPads since it’s inception and 8+ and Xr

In its current form it’s a bust on oled imo

This. Did they just use the same algorithm and parameters without taking into consideration the different nature? It can’t be. But on the other hand True Tone is amazing on LCD and pure vomit on OLED.

user1234

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
Sweden
OLED technology already works without PWM. (LG OLED TVs, for example.)

Haha, I won't be buying a phone with PWM. What do you mean?

Yes, but the few phones that use PWM free OLED have color shift issues at low brightness.

Thanks.. good info. From that table, it seems even LCD screens notebooks are using PWM, so does it mean PWM not limited to OLED? Previously, it was reported that LCD use analog dimming which actually dims LED backlight to reduce brightness but OLEDs use PWM.
Also, what's the relation between brightness level and PWM? And if LCDs can dim its backlight OLED without PWM then why not use the same technique in OLED screens?

It's not limited to OLED. More or less all LCD displays used PWM in the beginning. It's a good way technically to manage brightness of LEDs no matter the type (regular or organic). It was determined to be problematic with the flickering though and for the past 10 years a lot of displays have gone with analog dimming. PWM can cause EMC issues too. Many modern LCD displays still use PWM but any good PWM implementation should be in the 20000+ Hz range. Not below 1000 Hz for sure. Some LCDs unfortunately still use low frequency PWM.

TVs also do a lot of processing to enhance motion performance, like black frame insertion, that cause flicker even on LCD displays with flicker free backlights. Finding a truly flicker free TV can be a nightmare but thankfully many TVs allow users to disable motion processing.

For OLED it's still the only technically good way to do it. There are PWM free OLED displays but they have color shift issues at low brightness levels since LEDs tend to shift color when they are very dim. For a white backlight that's not too much of a problem, but for RGB pixels it is. It's still early days for OLED compared to LCD. The technology isn't very mature yet.

hr10

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2009
i am experiencing on and off headaches last couple weeks and I am not sure if its related to the Xs Max i just got or not. I had been using the X last year and it was fine. Has anyone go into the store and able to swap another unit for this reason? Will replacement unit resolves the issue?

jtl_

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2015
Canada
I want to add.. I have had to abandon the MBP line this year because of this issue.

It’s not just strain, it actually makes my eyes tired and or jittery causing slight anxiety after short periods of use.

Have switched reluctantly to a Lenovo X1C HDR Flicker Free display and can use that for hours without issues.

It stinks because now I don’t have my iMessage/FaceTime/Airdrop solution on PC.

Guess it’s one way to start weaning myself off the ecosystem.

And no, I will never, EVER, go to Samsung Touchwiz.

Testing out a Pixel 3 now..

The boredom is killing me with it!

Pixel 3 has PWM. Sorry.

LostAggie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2011
i am experiencing on and off headaches last couple weeks and I am not sure if its related to the Xs Max i just got or not. I had been using the X last year and it was fine. Has anyone go into the store and able to swap another unit for this reason? Will replacement unit resolves the issue?

I had the X last year but the Xs Max was messing with my eyes big time. Changed to Xr and all good now...

Reactions: BigBen2493

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA
I had the X last year but the Xs Max was messing with my eyes big time. Changed to Xr and all good now...

I bought the Xr on Nov 16, yesterday I decided to return it and try the Xs Max. Big mistake, noticed the eye strain shortly after use and the color shift when looking at an angle was awful. It went back today. Fortunately the verizon store still had the Xr that I returned so they let me buy that again. They normally only allow one exchange. Sure the Xs Max was a nicer phone but just couldn't deal with the screen. Learned the hard way, out $50 on the restocking fee but couldn't be happier to be back to the lcd screen.

Last edited:

BigBen2493

macrumors regular
May 10, 2016
I bought the Xr on Nov 16, decided to return it and try the Xs Max. Big mistake, noticed the eye strain shortly after use and the color shift when looking at an angle was awful. It went back today. Fortunately the verizon store still had the Xr that I returned so they let me buy the again. They normally only allow one exchange. Sure the Xs Max was a nicer phone but just couldn't deal with the screen. Learned the hard way, out $50 on the restocking fee but couldn't be happier to be back to the lcd screen.
Which color did you get?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.