iPhone X Eye-strain while using iPhone X

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kitkad, Nov 6, 2017.

?

Are you experiencing this issue?

1. Yes

43.6%
  2. No

56.4%
  1. stafil macrumors 6502

Anyone wants to take any bets that we will still buy anyway?

2. kerplunknet macrumors regular

OLED technology already works without PWM. (LG OLED TVs, for example.)

Haha, I won't be buying a phone with PWM. What do you mean?

3. stafil macrumors 6502

I guess I was talking about myself :D

4. BigBen2493, Nov 28, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
  5. thadoggfather macrumors G4

thadoggfather

I traded in my x a month after getting Xr

The size and pwm were factors for sure

6. BigBen2493 macrumors regular

How was the x, Headaches and eye strain?

7. thadoggfather macrumors G4

thadoggfather

I mean I think you get acclimated if you have the phone for a while and don’t have like epileptic type intense reactions, but shifting back I felt it in limited periods of use in my eyes... but still can’t be good for one if you detect you experience a difference. Long term

The crammed scaling was bothersome too. 7+ was my pseudo daily to pair with series4 on iOS 12 as my x never left 11.3 , and going back to x / 4.7” ish scaling was bothersome

But I’m no doctor haha just a father of a dogg

And I didn’t like the blue shift or the finicky angles compared to my Xr either

One will have to pry lg 4K oled tv’s from my cold dead hands but I can deal without on phone. The xr is a great “im gonna upgrade anyways” device there is no longevity. But I’m now down to Xr and SE (2, one on 10.2 jailbroken other on iOS 12 as a backup)

8. BigBen2493 macrumors regular

Just trying at the Apple store I felt my eyes get blurry after awhile

9. thadoggfather macrumors G4

thadoggfather

It’s a ‘cracked out’ feeling I don’t care for

And hunting passively , not knowing but feeling it on my eyes, even tho the screen looks crisp color wise

I’m glad to have what I call “real” True Tone too. Since True Tone and oled sucks so much more often than not

10. BigBen2493 macrumors regular

11. thadoggfather macrumors G4

thadoggfather

Oled True Tone looks like vomit most of the time and 90% night shift vs the intended purpose of True Tone to feel like a neutral white in most lighting

Works spectacular on iPads since it’s inception and 8+ and Xr

In its current form it’s a bust on oled imo

12. gaanee macrumors 65816

Thanks.. good info. From that table, it seems even LCD screens notebooks are using PWM, so does it mean PWM not limited to OLED? Previously, it was reported that LCD use analog dimming which actually dims LED backlight to reduce brightness but OLEDs use PWM.
    Also, what's the relation between brightness level and PWM? And if LCDs can dim its backlight OLED without PWM then why not use the same technique in OLED screens?

13. Maven1975 macrumors 6502a

I want to add.. I have had to abandon the MBP line this year because of this issue.

It’s not just strain, it actually makes my eyes tired and or jittery causing slight anxiety after short periods of use.

Have switched reluctantly to a Lenovo X1C HDR Flicker Free display and can use that for hours without issues.

It stinks because now I don’t have my iMessage/FaceTime/Airdrop solution on PC.

Guess it’s one way to start weaning myself off the ecosystem.

And no, I will never, EVER, go to Samsung Touchwiz.

Testing out a Pixel 3 now..

The boredom is killing me with it!

14. stafil macrumors 6502

This. Did they just use the same algorithm and parameters without taking into consideration the different nature? It can’t be. But on the other hand True Tone is amazing on LCD and pure vomit on OLED.

15. user1234 macrumors 6502a

user1234

Yes, but the few phones that use PWM free OLED have color shift issues at low brightness.

It's not limited to OLED. More or less all LCD displays used PWM in the beginning. It's a good way technically to manage brightness of LEDs no matter the type (regular or organic). It was determined to be problematic with the flickering though and for the past 10 years a lot of displays have gone with analog dimming. PWM can cause EMC issues too. Many modern LCD displays still use PWM but any good PWM implementation should be in the 20000+ Hz range. Not below 1000 Hz for sure. Some LCDs unfortunately still use low frequency PWM.

TVs also do a lot of processing to enhance motion performance, like black frame insertion, that cause flicker even on LCD displays with flicker free backlights. Finding a truly flicker free TV can be a nightmare but thankfully many TVs allow users to disable motion processing.

For OLED it's still the only technically good way to do it. There are PWM free OLED displays but they have color shift issues at low brightness levels since LEDs tend to shift color when they are very dim. For a white backlight that's not too much of a problem, but for RGB pixels it is. It's still early days for OLED compared to LCD. The technology isn't very mature yet.

16. hr10 macrumors regular

i am experiencing on and off headaches last couple weeks and I am not sure if its related to the Xs Max i just got or not. I had been using the X last year and it was fine. Has anyone go into the store and able to swap another unit for this reason? Will replacement unit resolves the issue?

17. jtl_ macrumors member

Pixel 3 has PWM. Sorry.

18. LostAggie macrumors 6502

I had the X last year but the Xs Max was messing with my eyes big time. Changed to Xr and all good now...

19. Act3, Nov 30, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2018

Act3 macrumors 68000

I bought the Xr on Nov 16, yesterday I decided to return it and try the Xs Max. Big mistake, noticed the eye strain shortly after use and the color shift when looking at an angle was awful. It went back today. Fortunately the verizon store still had the Xr that I returned so they let me buy that again. They normally only allow one exchange. Sure the Xs Max was a nicer phone but just couldn't deal with the screen. Learned the hard way, out $50 on the restocking fee but couldn't be happier to be back to the lcd screen.

20. BigBen2493 macrumors regular

Which color did you get?

21. Act3 macrumors 68000

Black one, it goes in a case all the time anyway.

22. BigBen2493 macrumors regular

Nice, Which case? and did you get a screen protector for it?

23. john g. macrumors member

john g.

Wow, look at the PWM of the XS vs. the XR in this video:

24. BigBen2493 macrumors regular

OMG
    --- Post Merged, Nov 30, 2018 ---
    PWM is awful!

25. BigBen2493 macrumors regular

Howcome you dont see the PWM like that on the XS when you look at them at the apple store?