EyeTV Hybrid – input from VCR

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by thomaskyhn, Sep 8, 2012.

1. thomaskyhn macrumors member

I'm trying to connect a VCR to EyeTV. I've used the Auto-Tune function (exhaustive scan). The VCR is recognized, but the signal is very bad, and it only works when the VCR is stopped. As soon as I press play, the signal is lost and I get the 'No signal' message.

On the TV the VCR signal is fine. My impression is that EyeTV's Auto-Tune function doesn't hit the exact frequency of the VCR.

Any ideas?

Thomas

2. robgendreau macrumors 68040

Frequency of the VCR? Are you trying to use it to get video already stored on your VCR into your Mac via S-video, or using it via coaxial cable and trying to get the analog video signal from an antenna or cable system passed through a VCR?

What is the VCR connected to?

There is no "frequency of the VCR." The auto-tune is how EyeTV software interprets an analog signal from an antenna or a subscription cable service like Comcast. If you are just trying to get in video from a VCR from a tape that's playing, you should be using an S-video cable from the VCR to the Hybrid, and there's no tuning involved.

3. thomaskyhn thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your reply.

I'm trying to watch a VHS tape on my mac. The VCR is connected by a coaxial cable to the EyeTV Hybrid USB device. EyeTV's Auto-Tune function detected the VCR signal and listed it with the frequency 487.25 MHz.

Unfortunately, the VCR I'm using doesn't have an S-video output.

4. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

There's two ways to do this.

1. With your current set-up via coax from the VCR to the Hybrid, set the EyeTV software to channel 3 or 4. It depends on what you have your VCR set to. Should be a little switch on the back of the VCR that allows you to play via Channel 3 or 4.

2. For better quality, use composite (or s-video, note that very few VCRs have s-video). Connect the red/white/yellow cables from the VCR the breakout cables included with the Hybrid. Read the manual to figure out how to get EyeTV to view the analog inputs.

Hope this helps.

ft

5. thomaskyhn thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your suggestions.

Unfortunately, the first solution didn't work. There's no signal on channel 3 or 4. I went through the VCR setup, and at the end of it it says it's on channel 23 rf, which is supposed to be around 494 MHz. This seems to be what EyeTV's auto-tune detected.

It looks like I'll have to find a VCR with another output.