EyeTv questions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by pmcmvp, Aug 3, 2009.

1. pmcmvp macrumors member

Hello,

A quick question regarding EyeTv products for recording TV

i.) is the program guide free in Canada? Am I able to schedule recordings?

2. GreatDrok macrumors 6502a

GreatDrok

I don't know for Canada but in the UK my EyeTV came with a subscription to a service which provided the TV guide data for analogue and for digital it just used what came with DVB transmissions.

Now I'm in New Zealand and no guide is provided other than the DVB which the EyeTV software still doesn't work with properly so I use a script to download an XML file with the program guide and load that into EyeTV. That works fine and I'm able to schedule it to record shows and convert them to AppleTV format and drop it into iTunes once recording has finished. Overall I'm pretty happy with the EyeTV and the software. It isn't as good as a TiVo by any stretch but works well enough.

3. pmcmvp thread starter macrumors member

anyone from canada using the eyetv? On the box, it says I can schedule recordings with the built in tv guide only in the US. How about Canada? I want to make sure I can view upcoming shows and record.

thanks

4. mac&cheesey macrumors 6502

trying to remember...

I think when I activated mine (eyetv 250 plus) I received a free year subscription to TV Guide for downloading listings content. I started an account with TV Guide, linked that to eyetv and got a free year.

Not sure if that's still the way it works (I've had mine for just about a year now... I have to renew again in January). I will renew though; I've been quite happy with it.

Good luck,
    m&c

Edit: I forgot... when I first got the eyetv 250 plus, Canadian listings were not supported. That feature was added a few months after I got it and it's been great ever since.

5. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Are you in Canada?

6. mac&cheesey macrumors 6502

Yep, I'm in BC.

I just responded to another thread and it jogged my memory a bit...

When I first got the eyetv 250 plus Canadian listings info was not supported. That changed a few months after I had it. Since then it's been flawless.

Any other questions give me a shout.

m&c