F-35: potential boost to US economy!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rasmasyean, Jun 19, 2009.

1. rasmasyean macrumors 6502a

Lockheed Sees Thousands Of Overseas F-35 Sales.

The Orlando Sentinel (6/18, Burnett) reports, "Lockheed Martin Corp. may reel in billions of dollars in additional revenue from sales of the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter to US allies, the company's top stealth fighter jet program official said Wednesday." Lockheed "expects to sell 1,000 to 2,000 of the advanced stealth jets to countries other than the nine allied partners already invested in the international F-35 effort, said David Heinz, Lockheed's F-35 program chief." According to the article, "Early production copies of the F-35 cost about $120 million each, including development costs, according to aviation experts. Full-rate production of the new aircraft is expected to cut that price tag by as much as two-thirds."

Officials Detail F-35 Testing Schedule. Flight Daily News (6/17, Trimble) reported, "Lockheed Martin and US government officials leading the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter have disclosed tantalising new details of the metrics required to complete the programme's nearly seven-year flight-test schedule on time." So far the F-35 has completed "100 flight test sorties by three aircraft" over the past two years, but "that schedule will ramp up dramatically as 10 new prototypes are added to the flight-test fleet through 2010." The schedule requires 12 sorties a month. However, "even if two or three aircraft fail to generate those rates, says Heinz, the programme still has enough time and resources in the flight-test programme to remain on schedule."

Looks like Defense industry can play a big role in boosting some export sales. I wonder if Iraq will get any. I'm sure they can use some. Sill need a job? You know where to look now! Security clearance and background check a must! ;)

2. MacHipster macrumors 6502

3. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Woohoo! Now we can kill even more women and children and help the economy at the same time. Surely a clear cut win-win situation.

4. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

If the USA has the technology to build a piece of equipment other countries want to buy like that, why can't we do so with our big three auto makers?

In the long run, I have faith in our President and our two party Congress to get our US car companies healthy again. Unfortunately, this will take several Presidential terms and absolutely have to take dedication from both sides of the aisle, thus the reason it will take soooo long. ;)

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Because due to the US's omg massive defence budget, only you have the technology to make the F-35.

6. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

Did that thing remind anyone else of a Transformer when it took off? Man is that cool and relatively cheap at $120 million apiece. But could we maybe just keep them in America? I don't feel too strongly about selling our weapons to our "allies." Didn't we arm the Taliban?

7. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Right, it's built in the US, so lets blame the US for what other countries do with it. Makes a lot of sense.

Don

8. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

Just sell Hillary, Barack, and Nancy Pelosi's huge a$$ egos and we'll be able to recover just fine. :rolleyes:

9. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

And who would want to buy their egos?:p

Don

10. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

Bill Gates could always use a boost to his. :)

11. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Where did I blame the US? The Afghanistan War is a NATO operation, so for example, if the British Army request air support it might be a French plane that drops the bomb, hence the "we" in my post.

Stop being so bleedin' precious.

12. takao macrumors 68040

takao

so if i built nuclear bombs and sell them to a dictator... he blows up another country with it i'm free of blame ?
    if i sell IED to other groups in another country i'm free of blame ?
    if i sell katjusha rockets to hezbollah in another country i'm free of blame ?

are you sure it's supposed to work that way ? ;) because the US thinks otherwise if _other countries are doing it_

GM and Ford have a long list of successful products which proved to be effective and reliable from the african deserts over french forests to russian steppes

[​IMG]

13. SydneyDev macrumors 6502

My country (Australia) is buying 100 of these to replace our 71 F/A-18.

I hope the testing completes on time. Asia (just to our North) has a lot of growing economies that are expanding their militaries.

14. DoNoHarm macrumors 65816

DoNoHarm

you know, I think building universities will also expand the economy. Actually, even Mt. Rushmore 2.0 would expand the economy.

15. rasmasyean thread starter macrumors 6502a

The US doesn’t suffer from lack of available higher education.
    The US actually suffers from lack of available people who want to attain higher education.
    That’s why there are so many foreign students in Universities, especially at the top levels because they get sponsored to study in the US.

Building Universities will just thin out the operating profit of the existing universities and cause some of them to go bankrupt…or accept even more foreigners who can afford it.