F! Cant get 1 screw out of my rMBP 15!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rnp614, Apr 29, 2013.

1. rnp614 macrumors newbie

I got the kit from OwC and all my screws came out but one. It looks like its a little chipped in there (i'm wondering if it had to do with when they replaced my panel from the IR issue) and I dont know what to do. Its one of the screws by where the lid opens by the little thumb indentation.

Any ideas? AAAGH!:confused:

2. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Maybe if you took it out for drinks and dinner, it might come across.

I sorry..it's late, I'm old, and I couldn't help myself...:eek: :(

3. Lil Chillbil macrumors 65816

Lil Chillbil

ky jelly and that drink idea :rolleyes:

seriously theres not a lot we can do here, its all up to you and your particular situation

4. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

I doubt you're willing to go as far as I did, but I basically tore a chunk of the aluminum out to get at the stripped screw.

It was one of three redundant screws holding the Airport card in, and I don't even know it happened.

5. fskywalker, Apr 29, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2013

fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

try with a different screwdriver

6. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

Get a high quality screwdriver of the correct size for the screw ... then apply significant pressure while the screwdriver is absolutely perpendicular to the screw plane (remember, the ones on the front may be at a 15 deg. angle) while slowly turning it out. It may have some blue LocTite on it which makes it more difficult to remove.

The key is a properly fitting, quality screwdriver! :)

7. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

YES, Agreed with what 'hfg' says above.. The Best Tools you can find/afford will likely alleviate this problem, and unfortunately NOT all tools provided by respectable companies are 'good tools'..

That being said, people have had luck with l=many other methods, and I have been in the Pro Audio business for a long time and taken apart some 'messy things' where others have tried and failed.. You might try these tricks:

- Give the end of your screwdriver a 'few light taps' while seated in the screw.. if the Loc-Tite is holding aggressively it may help, and it will ALSO seat the driver in the head better/as well as it can!!

- Placing a Rubber Band (1/8" to 1/4" wide) over the screw head and then turning it ~ the rubber will also 'grip' the head and help to twist it out..

- Using a GOOD pair of pliers/ small vice-grips to grab the screwdriver shaft and turn WHILE you push as hard as necessary to not have the Driver Head spin in the Screw..

Good Luck there.. Hope somehow you get it out.. :apple:

8. srsub3 macrumors 6502

srsub3

had the same issue while trying to replace the sad in my cMBP.... i was skeptical, but the screwdriver makes a huge difference! I was using a very cheap one from the market here... then bought one from amazon and voilà... out in 1 second....

9. Dookieman macrumors 6502

I also had a screw that I could not get out and ended up stripping it.

The solution I did was that I took a drill and removed down the top of the screw until it didn't hold the airport card anymore. It's only one missing screw and there is 0 cosmetic damage to the body of the laptop and everything is still firm in place.

10. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

That's brillant!

11. USC_Gamecock macrumors regular

USC_Gamecock

If there's loctite on that screw -- try heating it up with a heat gun or hair dryer first.

12. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

So did you finally got it out?

13. TC400 macrumors 6502a

TC400

A kit for what? What could you possibly upgrade in it?

14. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

You can replace / upgrade the Solid State Drive on the 13 and 15 inch rMBP as it resides in a separate board. OWC sells SSD kits for them.

15. TC400 macrumors 6502a

TC400

Thats right! I forgot. They are not soldered to the board! DUH! Silly me.