F Gun Control

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by poloponies, Sep 28, 2017.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

2. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

There's also these responsible gun owners that the NRA will surely release a statement defending:

People shooting at houses- Houston

Dam forum keeps trying to make it embedded media. Stop! I want to post a link.

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

you mean it's not legal? :rolleyes:

4. obeygiant, Sep 28, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2017

obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Yeah lets leave a loaded gun at a day care where a toddler could get to it! Good Idea!

I don't know if any one here has kids but toddlers especially boys are basically a walking accident. You can let them out of your sight for 30 seconds and they will find the most dangerous, sharpest, rustiest "thing" and start screwing with it. Who ever runs this daycare either didn't know the gin was accessible or they're the dumbest people alive.

lol GIN = gun

5. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

The gun owners (adults) should be charge with murder, their kids should be removed from the house. They should spend the next 25-life behind bars. It's as simple as that. I support the 2A, but in ownership comes responsibility and if you can't secure your friggin weapons cache then you don't deserve to be afforded that right and you should be charged with all applicable crimes committed with your firearms.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 28, 2017 ---

Dear god the comments. :eek:

6. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

Maybe they asked for it. Death is the only way to escape Trump’s tweets.

7. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

"Gun control" as commonly understood would not address this issue. As long as guns are legal, and people are idiots, this kind of incident will continue to happen.

Really, it's been clear since Newtown that there's no political or social will to remove, or limit access to firearms.

What may change this calculation is insurance, and liability. Insurance companies should charge more if a gun is in the home, and people should sue gun owners for everything they're worth for their negligence. And, people who run daycare from their homes should face a massive shift in their liability insurance if they own firearms.

8. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

Agreed about the insurance. However, civil suits against gun owners aren't usually worthwhile unless the people are worth a lot of money, which is rare. Usually, not worthwhile to sue someone that has an old chevy and an underwater mortgage. Suing gun manufacturers or retailers would be far more effective imo, but the NRA has ensured they are exempt from liability.

9. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

why should they be liable after the product leaves? if the product was defective you would have a point. businesses should have insurance, in this case they might have it.

10. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Are there? What would those laws be?

11. oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

If the product is defective, they're still exempt from liability.

12. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

There's lots of non-defective products that companies have been held liable for because they were used incorrectly. The obvious example being children's toys with small parts.

Heck the stores where they are sold have more liability than the manufacturers.

13. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

http://smartgunlaws.org/child-access-prevention-in-california/
    here is when they DON'T apply
    plenty of states have the same law or variations of it.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/aug/17/detroit-boy-manslaughter-charge-accountable

14. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I think citizenzen got you from what I can see there are no safe storage laws in MI that I can find. I think criminal negligence or child endangerment are about it.

15. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Guns arnt "products" they are lethal,deadly weapons.

Quit glossing over this kind of thing.

16. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Sure, but the point is to force insurance companies to cover the liability, if people have that kind of insurance. And, people who run daycares, and the like, often have to carry that insurance. So, the point is to make gun ownership a liability that actuaries have to consider.

Which means, gun ownership gets more expensive.

I also think that states should require care facilities to inform people if a gun, or guns, are present.

17. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

they are tools,. nothing more.
    hence the reason I said there is variations of the law that people get charged with.
    disagree, it's no ones business if I exercise my rights at my business

18. citizenzen macrumors 65816

California law doesn't apply to Michigan.

And your second article says, " ... observers say real problem is Michigan’s lack of a Child Prevention Access law."

So your first statement appears to be incorrect that, "there are laws in place against this."

19. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Tools that make it more likely that people will die.

That's a weird statement considering they are obviously weapons.

20. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

you have to define what "this" is, did the child shoot someone? yes, so as pointed out in the article the gun owner can get charged with involuntary manslaughter due to the actions of the child.
    I prefer to see them as toys.......

21. citizenzen macrumors 65816

You already defined it in your post: Child Prevention Access law.

What penalty exists that compels are parent to safely store their guns? You yourself admitted that you didn't store your guns safely when your children were growing up.

22. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

that is just your opinion, I stated my kids were TRAINED IN THE PROPER USE of my firearms, hence the reason they are properly "stored"

23. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

No, they are not. This is a myth propagated by the anti-gun lobby.
    PLCAA does not exempt or protect manufacturers from being sued for defective products.

24. ItnStln Suspended

In some states that's illegal. Luckily I don't have that problem but when I'm not in my house my gun is locked up where it stays until I pull it out of the safe and attach my Streamlight TLR-2, just in case.