Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Racing title F1 2017, the official game of the 2017 Formula One World Championship, is available for purchase and download from the Mac App Store starting today.

Published by Feral Interactive, F1 2017 was released for Mac in August, but has previously only been available from the Feral Store and Steam, with the Mac App Store taking longer to release.

F1 2017 is based on the 2017 Formula One season and offers access to all 24 circuits, 20 drivers, and 10 teams that are competing this season.

screen1-800x450.jpg

Players can choose from several unique Championship races to play, including the official 2017 FIA Formula One World Championship, the Classic All-Weather Championship, and the super-accessible, race-only Sprint Championship.

The game is the ninth F1 in the series, and this new version brings an expanded team management mode, giving players additional control over the research and development of new car parts.
Win the 2017 World Championship and race some of the fastest and most iconic F1TM cars of the last 30 years.

F1 2017 grants unprecedented access to not only the on-track excitement of F1, but also the off-track dealings and vehicle development that goes along with it. The ten-year Career Mode includes practice programmes to help hone your skills, an expansive Research and Development tree to provide greater control over the development of your car, and the ability to manage engines and gearboxes over the course of the season.
F1 2017 requires a 2.0GHz Intel Core i5 processor, 8GB RAM, 2GB AMD R9 M290 or 1.5GB Intel Iris Pro 6200 graphics or better, and 36GB of disk space, at minimum. Feral says the game is supported on the following Mac models:

[*]All 13" MacBook Pros since late 2016
[*]All 15" MacBook Pros since late 2016
[*]All 21.5" iMacs since late 2015 with a 2.0GHz Intel Core i5 processor
[*]All 27" iMacs since late 2014
[*]All Mac Pros since late 2013

F1 2017 can be downloaded from the Mac App Store for $49.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: 'F1 2017' Racing Game Now Available From Mac App Store

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
So will the Mac version in around 3 to 4 months. I got F1 2016 in the Steam Store for £14.99 you just need to keep your eyes peeled for the offers when they come along.

True . If you get the download version, you should get Both from places like steam

scottishwildcat

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2007
The seasons almost over. What's the point? Lol
Er, the point is that it's a game (and a very good one, if you're into F1). Playing the game does not in any way affect the outcome of the real season ;)

Seriously, this is the earliest into the season we've ever had the official F1 game on Macs -- this year the Steam version for Mac released the same day as the Windows version, for the first time ever. If you want to support Feral and their long Mac gaming history and future efforts, you could do worse than buy this in recognition of that.

Codemasters can't really release the Windows version (which Feral ports for Mac) an awful lot earlier than they do, as they have to model the cars based on what arrives at Australia in March, and the relative performances of those cars based on the first few races. The earliest they've ever released is July, and that was the most stripped-down and disappointing game in the series to date.

Last edited:

Theophany

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2008
NW London.
You can play with an eGPU, just put an RX580 in it and have fun!
My 2012 iMac has 32Gb of RAM but is not supported even though I got the best GPU at the time :(

It can barely hit 40fps on my 2010 Mac Pro with 32GB RAM, a 3.46GHz hex core and a GTX 980 Ti in it. In Windows it'll sit comfortably at 60fps at the same resolution.

I mean, it's nice that games get Mac support but they're total garbage compared to their Windows versions. I'm not sure if that highlights the difficulty of porting or just how bad Metal is relative to DirectX.

panjandrum

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2009
United States
1) If you are really going to game on the Mac, do it in Bootcamp.
1b) And if you are going to do that get Assetto Corsa anyway, that's one hell of a sim!
2) If you are really tenacious, you CAN get many games to run, even on integrated graphics chips, in Windows/Bootcamp but you have to be willing to really dig into custom pref files etc. (I managed to get FO4 to work on a 13" MBPretina really well, for example, but it was a real PITA.) Other games (like AC, mentioned above) run very, very well on integrated graphics under Windows.
3) It would be really interesting if someone who has a FFB wheel could try it with this game on the Mac (it should work in Windows no problem of course). Many years back I tried a Logitech G25 on my MacPro in Mac mode just for kicks, and it showed up as a standard HID device and even worked, mostly, with a SIM I snagged for the Mac to test (GRID???) - The problem was that there was a noticeable delay delay of about 1/4 second between pedal inputs and the game responding (Mac OS only, worked great in Windows). If Apple were to have resolved that issue it would be great for those of you wanting to try a racing game like F1 and who happen to have an old FFB wheel laying around.

Guy Clark

Suspended
Nov 28, 2013
London United Kingdom.
1) If you are really going to game on the Mac, do it in Bootcamp.
1b) And if you are going to do that get Assetto Corsa anyway, that's one hell of a sim!
2) If you are really tenacious, you CAN get many games to run, even on integrated graphics chips, in Windows/Bootcamp but you have to be willing to really dig into custom pref files etc. (I managed to get FO4 to work on a 13" MBPretina really well, for example, but it was a real PITA.) Other games (like AC, mentioned above) run very, very well on integrated graphics under Windows.
3) It would be really interesting if someone who has a FFB wheel could try it with this game on the Mac (it should work in Windows no problem of course). Many years back I tried a Logitech G25 on my MacPro in Mac mode just for kicks, and it showed up as a standard HID device and even worked, mostly, with a SIM I snagged for the Mac to test (GRID???) - The problem was that there was a noticeable delay delay of about 1/4 second between pedal inputs and the game responding (Mac OS only, worked great in Windows). If Apple were to have resolved that issue it would be great for those of you wanting to try a racing game like F1 and who happen to have an old FFB wheel laying around.
Totally missing the point. A Mac is to run the native platform not Windows. The Bootcamp drivers suck always have done. You want to run Windows buy a PC where there will be much better driver support.

panjandrum

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2009
United States
Totally missing the point. A Mac is to run the native platform not Windows. The Bootcamp drivers suck always have done. You want to run Windows buy a PC where there will be much better driver support.

Although you sometimes have to "gently tweak" things a bit, there are ways to install drivers straight from the manufacturer in Bootcamp; I, and many others, have successfully used Bootcamp to game for ages. The performance benefits are usually considerable when comparing the same title. Yes, it's a pain in the arse, but if you want to really game it's the way to go. I too hope for the day when games available for Mac are common and have performance on par with their Windows counterparts.

JordanNZ

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2004
Auckland, New Zealand
It can barely hit 40fps on my 2010 Mac Pro with 32GB RAM, a 3.46GHz hex core and a GTX 980 Ti in it. In Windows it'll sit comfortably at 60fps at the same resolution.

I mean, it's nice that games get Mac support but they're total garbage compared to their Windows versions. I'm not sure if that highlights the difficulty of porting or just how bad Metal is relative to DirectX.

Nvidia cards aren’t supported on macOS. You’re not going to have a good experience with a 980. The Nvidia metal drivers have some bugs. If you had a AMD 580 you’d probably be fine.

Voldsgaard

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2012
Denmark
Hi

I have buy this game and i have no problem with this but now there are coming a update 1.0.4 and where are now "bugs" when i play, This computer its install is a iMac 5K with 32GB RAM and there was no problems before what update.

i have try to reinstall F1 2017 but its not help.

Hope this forum can help me.

best regards
Jens

ledzeppelin

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2010

Racing title F1 2017, the official game of the 2017 Formula One World Championship, is available for purchase and download from the Mac App Store starting today.
Hi

I have buy this game and i have no problem with this but now there are coming a update 1.0.4 and where are now "bugs" when i play, This computer its install is a iMac 5K with 32GB RAM and there was no problems before what update.

i have try to reinstall F1 2017 but its not help.

Hope this forum can help me.

best regards
Jens

Published by Feral Interactive, F1 2017 was released for Mac in August, but has previously only been available from the Feral Store and Steam, with the Mac App Store taking longer to release.

F1 2017 is based on the 2017 Formula One season and offers access to all 24 circuits, 20 drivers, and 10 teams that are competing this season.

screen1-800x450.jpg

Players can choose from several unique Championship races to play, including the official 2017 FIA Formula One World Championship, the Classic All-Weather Championship, and the super-accessible, race-only Sprint Championship.

The game is the ninth F1 in the series, and this new version brings an expanded team management mode, giving players additional control over the research and development of new car parts.
F1 2017 requires a 2.0GHz Intel Core i5 processor, 8GB RAM, 2GB AMD R9 M290 or 1.5GB Intel Iris Pro 6200 graphics or better, and 36GB of disk space, at minimum. Feral says the game is supported on the following Mac models:

[*]All 13" MacBook Pros since late 2016
[*]All 15" MacBook Pros since late 2016
[*]All 21.5" iMacs since late 2015 with a 2.0GHz Intel Core i5 processor
[*]All 27" iMacs since late 2014
[*]All Mac Pros since late 2013

F1 2017 can be downloaded from the Mac App Store for $49.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: 'F1 2017' Racing Game Now Available From Mac App Store
Nvidia cards aren’t supported on macOS. You’re not going to have a good experience with a 980. The Nvidia metal drivers have some bugs. If you had a AMD 580 you’d probably be fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.