iPhone XS Max Face ID Issue / Not Available

itsmilo

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
my Face ID randomly stopped working yesterday afternoon. First it would not recognize me at all. Then i deleted the saved Face ID and tried to set it up again but I got a error message saying „Face ID not available. Please try again later“ or something like this.

After a reboot and setting it up again, it would work for like 2 minutes before failing again with the same error message. I rebooted once more and it’s been finally working again since. Still wonder what might have happened

You think there might be a defect with my device or a software bug?

Ntombi

macrumors 68040
Jul 1, 2008
Bostonian exiled in SoCal
Either way, get a replacement. I haven’t heard of any other issues with Face ID on iOS 12, but even if others were having the same issue, the fact that you got it to work for a minute means you just need to get a new phone.

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014
What device? Apple is going to make you do a restore on iTunes. If that doesn’t work, they’ll replace it for you.

lclev

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2013
Ohio
I would back it up and do a Reset all settings but I doubt it works. That sounds like a hardware issue and I would be going for a new phone. I have the Xs Max and it works perfectly and so should yours.

Lisa

Shadowbech

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2011
Apple iPhone World
This sounds like hardware issue, if you are still within your 14 day return period (depending on when you got it), i'd get a refund and purchase a new one. If it's past 14 days, then set a genius bar appointment and have Apple take a look. So far I have not encountered this issue on my XS Max.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.