Face ID it’s not about security it’s an Advertisers Dream

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheRealAlex, Sep 27, 2017.

1. TheRealAlex, Sep 27, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2017

TheRealAlex macrumors 68000

Been chatting with a Siliconvalley old buddy of mine, and he says Apple has done it. Face ID of course it will come eventually to Mac and iPad heck on PC it’s being Marketed to Gamers as a feature called Eye Tracking by Tobii On 144hz Gaming monitors which can tell where on the screen you are looking.

Make no mistake boys and girls. This is not about Security or Gaming. That’s the foot in the door. And how innocent it is. The reality behind the scenes in Silicon Valley and at Apple. Is how to Create Apps that Track what you are Looking at In real time non stop. The implications for advertising and targegeted ads are monumental.

Here’s just a few

A. Employers will have a scoring system based on how engaged workers are they can tell how much you are looking at your screen.
    B. Malls will enable Face ID and partner with Apple to give coupons and discounts at kiosks when you look at a poster.
    C. Snapchat and Instagram will have features that provide special Filters when you ID your friends. Tagging people is so 2013. Now with Face ID it’s done immediately.

Can’t wait to see what other uses people can come up with.

Here’s a Brief TED talk on what’s being done today wait till they get Face ID profiles and people to opt into these discount cards and link them. Skip to 3:00

2. LiemTa macrumors 6502

Apple prohibits using Face ID in this manner for advertising purposes.

3. Starfyre macrumors 68030

Starfyre

This is very similar if not the same response to a thread I posted about this very subject.
    Like watching YouTube, where there is an advertisement... that won't keep playing unless your staring at the advertisement. Or the Spotify, which doesn't actually play music until you stare at the screen while it is playing or showing you an ad. It would be a very dark future!

4. TheRealAlex thread starter macrumors 68000

I don’t buy it. And quite possibly they will let users opt in to marketing and advertising functionality should people choose.

5. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

The lengths you’ll go to just to piss MRF readers off never cease to amaze me.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 27, 2017 ---
    I don’t buy anything you post...ever.

6. TheRealAlex thread starter macrumors 68000

You’d better start a kickstarter because your ideas if not already implemented will soon be implemented unless of course you are a Paying Subscriber for $4.99 a month to Youtube if not you Must stare at the screen can’t even hit skip.

You either just gave marketers a scary idea or they have it on the drawing board Apple is just providing the opportunity to implement these ideas. Gone will be the days of skipping and ad or ignoring it. You MUST look at the screen for it to go away.

Seriously you have a Multimillion dollar idea on your hands.

7. Jrd123 Suspended

This isn’t a thing though. Wish you would do your research... sad.

8. TheRealAlex thread starter macrumors 68000

Not yet it isn’t. There needs to be a Face ID Users Bill of Rights.

9. Harthag macrumors 6502a

Anyone who says 'Silicone' valley cannot be taken seriously. Just like people who like expresso.

10. ultravisitor macrumors 6502a

ultravisitor

I'm not even sure I can find the words to describe how stupid and clueless someone would have to be in order to think this would possibly happen.

11. 0007776 Suspended

This is no different than the paranoia about identity theft with touchid Apple won't make changes to the protocol to allow this kind of implementation.

12. Wreckus macrumors 6502a

Wreckus

all I gotta say is..

[​IMG]

13. TheRealAlex thread starter macrumors 68000

Please understand this is done Apples released Face ID. It’s not about Apple or Security. The Face ID reader is there. Face ID is a thing now.

All you need a a Groupon App or Snapchat or Instagram to ask for Permission which no one ever denies or reads.

Unless Apple will NOT allow anyone to use the Face ID front facing cameras 3D Depth Senseor which every app just about will ask permission for. Every Teenage or 18 to 34 year old will allow because they want Shopping Coupons and they want to use Snapchat and Instagram.

14. 0007776 Suspended

Apple will allow it to be used in the same way touchid can be used in apps today. The app can ask the OS for biometric authentication, and the OS tells the app if it was successful or not. That is it, apps will not have access to the secure enclave where the data is kept.

15. Knowimagination macrumors 68000

Knowimagination

16. macTW Suspended

Ignore the fact Apple doesn’t store use or sell any of the security information...

Dismissed. Next idea?

17. C DM, Sep 27, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2017

C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Just like Touch ID Face ID is tied to the Secure Enclave and all that comes with it.

18. artfossil macrumors 65816

artfossil

19. deadworlds macrumors 65816

deadworlds

OP, I think what you are saying is that faceID (cameras and sensors) are on the phone. These components collectively are called faceID. If I’m understanding right, you (and your friend), are saying that app developers can access these sensors to track users face and ID them.

I think you need to understand how faceID and the secure enclave works. Yes apps have access to the face tracking features, but I don’t think the API will allow direct access to the data that is produced by these sensors. Apple has rarely, if ever allowed app developers direct access to this type of data.

Just like touchID can basically photograph your finger print, the API does not allow direct access to that data. There is no way to use it for anything other than Apple intended.

Here’s a video by Apple at WWDC explaining how touchID and the secure enclave hide the data points, even from the processor. Yes, the processor doesn’t even have access to the data on the secure enclave.

https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2016/705/

20. GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

No biggie. If all this comes to pass, I'll just start sporting my Cousin It look:

IMG_0521.JPG

21. redman042 macrumors 68030

redman042

Dude, you might be thinking of Android. Apple is in the hardware business, not the ad selling business. Follow the money. If you want a high end smartphone but you value security, Apple is your best bet.

22. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

I stopped reading at "boys and girls." Don't ever condescend to me.
    Ironic reply.
    "Old buddy."

23. Absrnd macrumors 6502a

Absrnd

You assume that FaceID will be used in this manner, but it won't, Apple won't let them,
    just like Apple won't let them use you fingerprint for commercial purposes.

Advertisers don't need your iPhone faceID to do this,
    there are already many practical devices and cameras that can, and already do this.

Here in Holland there was a very slight uproar, when it became apparent that an advertiser, who puts up advertisement posters in casings, added tiny pinhole cameras on train stations, to see if and how people look at the posters.

They quickly deactivated the cameras, even after explaining the camera's can't see faces or eyes, just a basic shape of the head, and if it looked or not.
    also these were not recorded, just made statistics if and how many people looked at it.

The hardware to do this is already in use for many years, in England, street camera's already use this.

BTW, is this you ?

[​IMG]

24. TheRealAlex thread starter macrumors 68000

You hit the nail on the head. Apps do t want access to the secure enclave they don’t want Biometric Data.
    They just want access and will get it. To the Front camera and 3D depth sensor heck Apple already said in the Keynote there are special Emojis that will Track your face and animate with your expressions.