Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you want Face ID on the MacBook Pro?

• Total voters

ShootingStarPho

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 19, 2011
2019 might be the year Apple releases a new laptop brand with these features! Or so I wish... the 2019 quiet refresh is the most underwhelming updated, but I need a Pro Mac portably, so I am inconvenienced that my patience has not rewarded me this time.

The MacBook Pro 2019 spec bump might foreshadow a new device to adopt a new design that will sit aside the MacBook Pro. What do you think, community? The premiere of super class of laptops beyond Pro?
Pro Plus?
Pro Max?

Or does it truly mean that those that purchase 2019’s device are just stuck with the last time the ugly bezels are present in the pro laptop line up? It feels like filler until the next release...

I personally want the Face ID most. Where is it? My iPad Pro makes it obvious this is a reasonable expectation. 12.9” display can handle it, so can a 16” screen.

Perhaps Apple wishes to release a radical new pro laptop that has the keyboard keys with OLED’s or similar soon, placing the traditional MBP in the X-R category of laptops.

Proposed and rumoured ideas:

16.5” screen; no bezels, with Face ID & Touch ID {double secure when requested}?
Maybe a larger Touch screen in the Touch Bar region?
4K display?
Face ID?
New keyboard mechanism entirely?
Each key is a small screen to adjust to individual apps?
6 count of the thunderbolt 3 ports?

BuCkDoG

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2013
No redesign body this year. No chance.

I would have agreed with you all the way until todays rumors. I personally still think its a 4 year cycle chassis refresh however, given the amount of issues with that keyboard, I wouldn't be surprised at all that a new design would be pushed out earlier .

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
I would have agreed with you all the way until todays rumors. I personally still think its a 4 year cycle chassis refresh however, given the amount of issues with that keyboard, I wouldn't be surprised at all that a new design would be pushed out earlier .
New design if it comes with have updated 2019 keyboard. I give it an 80% chance.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
I really think FaceID is the future - it really makes authentication seamless when you see it in action on an iPad Pro in desktop mode. I like that they've been improving integration of Touch ID in macOS recently, but its still a bit off FaceID.

And I know its not as simple as just lifting the sensor array from the iPad and putting it in to the laptop, but I'd be disappointed if a redesigned MBP doesn't have it included. At the moment, its the iPad Pro which has all the state of the art Apple hardware in it.

fokmik

Suspended
Oct 28, 2016
USA
faceid needs room,so no very slim bezels on the top and also needs depth ,so the lid has to keep the current thickness

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
I’d say 2020 for the redesign. Either Face ID ora Touch ID I’m fine with either

MushroomMan

macrumors regular
May 31, 2015
Thailand
Would you be able to operate '2 users' from one person (ie. business / personal) with Face ID?

Touch ID makes this pretty easy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.