Facebook Hate Purge

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by appleisking, May 2, 2019.

1. appleisking macrumors 6502a

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/02/tech...owars-alex-jones-milo-laura-loomer/index.html

Pretty big step.

2. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

3. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

At least there's not going to be any "what about Louis Farrakhan?" from the right this time.

Facebook and other social media platforms have certainly had a role in making it easier for terrorist and other hate-inspired attacks to be carried out, so clearly they need to do something.

4. Zenithal macrumors 604

5. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

If Louis's speech incites hate and violence it should be treated no differently, it would be nice to see us all agree on this topic.

6. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

Are they killing off just the right or also left leaning lunatics?

I’m fully expecting a complete social media split where people can calmly sit in their ideological bubble and not be bothered by opposing views.

7. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

WHAT is an opposing view?..............................bubbles are dangerous

8. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

That's what we have today, but the bubbles are transparent and right next to each other. The sounds of cheers and jeers can be heard on either side but facts have to be pretty sharp to pop the bubbles.

9. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

The reality is it's going to impact the right far more than it will the left, their extremism with white nationalism, hate groups, shootings, etc. is off the charts right now.

10. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Eric, with all due respect the whole more or less thing is just trying to hoist one side up to the moral high ground. There are idiots on both sides ( For one example ANTIFA which is more of a anarchist group is labeled as being on "the left"). Time to make it more about correcting the behaviour than about who is more of a problem.

11. LordVic macrumors 603

I think it depends on what those lunatics are saying

Someone on facebook espousing communism for example, might be radical and extreme, But if they're not calling for violence, it's really not the same thing.

However, many on the list of things that are banned, were done so because they often encouraged violence, hatred to classes of people, or outright manipulative lying.

Facebook is well within their rights to pick and choose who is allowed to use their content platform or not.

12. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

*Hands over an 80 year old chart*

13. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

People still use Facebook? Seriously, though, the issue for me is not just hate groups but also foreign agents. I know that sounds paranoid, but I view the current divisions in the US as making us vulnerable. Like a crappy PA system at a concert or rally, it only takes a little amplification above threshold to start a rather uncomfortable feedback loop.

14. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

I'm guessing they'll eventually go the way of MySpace but they do still have a huge platform, especially for older adults. Both Russia and anti-vaxxers had a ton of success with misinformation on FB.

15. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

16. Think creative, May 2, 2019
    Last edited: May 2, 2019

Think creative macrumors regular

Except while there are idiots on both sides (a lot of anti vaxxers are left leaning for example) most domestic terrorists have been right leaning, and radicalized by red pillers, 4chan and 8chan and so on. A lot of the right week media has been infiltrated by white supremacists.

17. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

I went to a convention last summer and every vendor business card I got didn't have a phone number or an email address. They all had facebook and instagram addresses instead. As somebody who isn't on Facebook it made me realize there is a whole marketplace that I'm not aware of because I'm not on Facebook.

I think social media is just making people lazy on so many levels and the developers are constantly giving people new ways to expand their laziness and never leave the sites.

18. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

I don't have a FaceBook account, so this doesn't really impact me.

But, I wonder who (or what criteria) decides what FaceBook content is "dangerous"?

19. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

Well, Facebook decided for itself.
    However, they are going to be in trouble because by doing so - among other things - they are declaring to be editors. They are opening the door for a gazillion lawsuits.

20. pshufd macrumors 6502a

Private company - they can do whatever they want to.

They banned me as well. My crime? Using a privacy browser (Brave).

21. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

Although I have a page with over 164,000 likes under a different name, I do not have a personal account and have not for many years now. I would think handing out cards with your only contact info being a social media platform that one may or may not be on is not a smart way to network. Always give a number or an email address.

22. decafjava macrumors 68030

decafjava

Yes, this is an international phenomenon.

23. LordVic macrumors 603

Facebook does.

it's their platform. And they can pick and choose as they see fit. Whether fairly, or unfairly.

24. sim667 macrumors 65816

What left leaning lunatics are you referring to?
    --- Post Merged, May 3, 2019 ---
    Yeah the paedo one.

25. pshufd macrumors 6502a

They're killing off accounts that don't make them money.

Use a privacy browser or set up your computer and environment so that they can't track you or advertise and they will dump you.