Facebook: Is there anyway to segregate what people see?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Zombie Acorn, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Seriously Facebook has became a menace, it used to be great when it was just college because I knew I could put pretty much anything on there and only my classmates would see it. Now parents/uncles/grandparents/peoples dogs have the damn thing and I don't really want to broadcast something like "Awesome party, we got drunk as hell last night" in front of my whole family, but I don't want to be a dick and not add them on request. Is there anyway to segregate your groups so that only certain groups see certain things? :confused:

2. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

You can make a group called "Family" or something and then in your privacy settings prevent them from seeing your status updates, but that also prevents them from seeing any of your status updates. Currently there is not a way that I know of to prevent a certain group from seeing a specific post, it is either all or none.

From my standpoint, I will not friend nor accept friend requests from relatives.

3. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I think you can give people a limited profile view. It's meant for pretty much that. But I think it's either all, limited, or nothing. So you can't have a limited configuration for your mom and a different one for your grandma. They'd both get the same limited view.

4. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

They have since changed this, so you can make certain groups of friends see certain things (or not see them is probably the better way of looking at it).

5. seven7seven macrumors regular

yeah i know exactly how you feel.
    i feel awkward posting status updates now that my mom/aunt/cousin/fam friends have facebook

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I do this too. I have my family able to view my current contact details, some photos (of relatives babies and such) and they certainly dont get my status updates. But on the other side I don't have it set to friends and randoms can't see my contact details and previously mentioned photos. The ones I want to know where I live already do ;).

7. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

I do, especially with teachers.....

My high school choral teacher has a page for our chorus so she can better keep us up with events, practices, and such.

Two days ago, we had a little bit of homework. One of my friends forgot to do his, and was like "sorry, i was really busy". She replied, "No you weren't, i saw". We were quite confused until we realized that he had made a status update about being really bored the previous night.

That page can now no longer see my status updates and pictures :p

8. Meek Wriggle macrumors member

You could always make another account. Have one for friends and one for family. E-mail your friends and tell them to use your new account. It's inconvenient but it's what I would do.

9. the vj macrumors 6502a

Well...

I gave my girlfriend all kind of restrictions about my coments and 80% of the people I have, I have hide their posts.

The only thing I can't manage to filter is the "Highglits" because there are thing about people I just do not care about and they are showing there even they have been blocked.

10. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

The only reason why I got rid of facebook is because of privacy issues. There were some stuff my "family" saw on fb they weren't happy about and I'm 31. :rolleyes::(

11. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

My issue with facebook and privacy issues is that they always seem to change the ways that people (who you are not friends with) can see your profile. Adding new ways for you to show up in searches and such. This is great as it gives you more customizability, but the problem with it is that whenever they add these new ways they set your options for them to the default, which typically is that more people can see your profile. They change this without telling you. From my standpoint, if I have not friended you, all you can see is my profile pic (which I always make sure is appropriate, etc.), mutual friends, and a link to add me as a friend or to send me a message, nothing else.

When I changed networks earlier in the summer (my high school to my college network) it made it so that my profile wasn't private. It took me 2 weeks to realize this change. I am all for them adding ways to customize who sees what, but when they implement the changes make the default setting so that people can't see your profile.