Facebook Logs Text, Call Histories for Some Android Users

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ericgtr12, Mar 26, 2018.

1. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

Wow, glad I stopped using them years ago. It's bad enough that they force the messenger app on you so it can suck up all of your contacts but this is unacceptable. FB says while they captured the data "nothing improper" happened. Right.

2. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Not sure why this is surprising. You would be amazed at the data companies collect on its users. If you interact with their software odds are that interaction is being logged.

3. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

4. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

What is with this electronic voyeurism by The Zuck and his marketing greasers?

5. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

The fit has already hit the shan anyway, as the FTC announced today that they've opened up a major investigation into Facebook, related to Cambridge Analytica, and this isn't helping. Shares of stock in the company took a massive hit.

BL.

6. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

I recall that the app used to nag for access every time at launch. Never!

7. 0007776 Suspended

It’s how you pay for a “free” service.

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Given the profits Facebook makes just looking at the information you explicitly enter should be enough. No need to be super creepy.

Still I doubt Google is much better if at all.

There are far too many sociopaths at these big tech companies.

9. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

[​IMG]

10. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

He's the biggest sham ever. Should be put in jail and stripped of his UN-earned, fake wealth. Guy is a criminal.

11. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I thought that was Android, not Facebook.

12. 0007776 Suspended

It’s both, nothing is truly free.

13. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

Just about every service Google provides is free. So they need to make their money by ______________.

14. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

Is The Zuck more evil than Bill Gates?

15. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

The implosion continues. Won’t be long now.

16. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

Probably the same. But Zuck's predicament is actually making Tim Cook look like an angel lately. :D

17. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

I like Cook and I think he means well but is out of his depth. Zuck is as trustworthy as Trump, IMO.

18. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

I neither love or hate Tim Cook. I think he's made mistakes post-Jobs. But I give him credit too. And one of the things he is doing right is to continue to protect the privacy of Apple customers (Apple China being an odd exception, but I really don't care about Chinese rights, that's not my battle to fight).

With the FB scandal, I think Cook is in proper position to tell everyone (including the FBI who keeps wanting a backdoor to Apple devices) "I told you so"

19. stylinexpat macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

Not a fan of Signal. If Signal was good it would not require access to all your contacts list to work. The fact that it will not work without accessing all your contacts list tells me it is almost like Facebook. Not chat app that cares about privacy needs to have access to all your personal contacts to function properly.

20. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Unlike Facebook their code is open source. Although if you have better suggestions it would be good to share, not sure there are better alternatives. Snowden states he trusts Whisper.

21. TC_GoldRush macrumors 6502

TC_GoldRush

Money is not the only thing we're able to pay with. Man... Facebook is logging all my nudes??? Those creepy bastards!

22. stylinexpat macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

If I find one I will share . I think though using a chat who has a server abroad is good in general. Line and Wechat servers for example are in Asia so any copy of that would not be easy. China forced Apple into having Apple use local cloud servers instead of ones from overseas as they knew that getting a hold of info from overseas servers would not be easy. This goes both ways. I will only believe one is secure when it works without access to your contacts. Wechat for example can work by giving other party your Wechat ID instead of giving them your phone number. You can add and delete people via WeChat ID instead of phone numbers. In Asia people use this method quite often as no one wants to give out their personal contact info.

23. stylinexpat macrumors 65816

stylinexpat

24. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I have Facebook on my iPhone, but I think perhaps its days are numbered and I might delete it and access FB from the web. The FB app is huge - larger than MS Word - so all that bloated code must be doing something. My guess is that it is gathering as much information as possible. Capitalist surveillance at its worst.