Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Exeterwayne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2019
Is anyone else having issues using a external keyboard when using Facebook Messenger. The keyboard works when you first launch the App but if you go away and do something else then go back to messenger, the keyboard stops working. I have to remove messenger from memory and relaunch it to get it to work again. Been doing it since iPadOS 13.4.5 beta 2 and it’s still doing it on the new beta 3.

ApfelKuchen

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2012
Between the coasts
Statistically speaking, there probably are others with the same issue.

Are you sure that it's any external keyboard, or just the one you're using?

One way or the other, this begs the question, "Since you're running a beta, did you report this to Apple and/or Facebook?"

BrassHanded_Penman

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2020
I’m having the same issue with my iPad Pro and magic keyboard. It’s causing me to write the message 1st in the notes app as overlay then past into messenger. I am also constantly swipe-up closing Messenger to restart it.

if it were merely a keyboard issue it would effect other apps. But it doesn’t seem to be. Rather it’s a messenger and keyboard issue. However, while the keyboard wont effect the text within messenger, the keyboard still has access to the app switcher and home shortcut keys.

Messenger just fixed a problem with they keyboard, which lasted for months too. But that issue involved the autocorrect options visually covering up the text window you were typing in.

Last edited:

Ruppenthal

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2012
Same issue here. It seems to have started just a few weeks ago because I didn’t have this problem before. I have to quit Messenger and swipe it out of memory then relaunch it to get the keyboard to work.

Exeterwayne

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2019
Ive found a temporary fix, if you download the Testflight app on the iPad and search google for Messenger Beta, you will find a TestFlight link to use a beta version of Messenger, there will be an option to download previous builds and I’ve found the build I’ve highlighted the best one to use, not ideal but works fine until the final release of iOS 13.5 comes out :)

Attachments

• 5E644F6B-13CD-46A1-8B36-4D08AF98B71C.jpeg
    5E644F6B-13CD-46A1-8B36-4D08AF98B71C.jpeg
    362.4 KB · Views: 196
  • C9631016-4D29-4856-9427-2316CB8259C5.jpeg
    C9631016-4D29-4856-9427-2316CB8259C5.jpeg
    471.9 KB · Views: 164

Jeffernason

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2016
Ive found a temporary fix, if you download the Testflight app on the iPad and search google for Messenger Beta, you will find a TestFlight link to use a beta version of Messenger, there will be an option to download previous builds and I’ve found the build I’ve highlighted the best one to use, not ideal but works fine until the final release of iOS 13.5 comes out :)
I am glad to see others facing this same issue. I have tried this fix but this beta of messenger will not load any conversations. I have tried several of the other builds but it seems like only the latest version will load existing conversations. It will load a conversation if you search a name. I’m not sure which issue is more inconvenient.

infernohellion

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2006
København
For some reasons, I thought this is not a new problem. If I remember it correctly this problem persisted even back in the old iPad Pro folio keyboard. But yes, happy that I’m not the only person seeing this problem.

Jeffernason

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2016
For some reasons, I thought this is not a new problem. If I remember it correctly this problem persisted even back in the old iPad Pro folio keyboard. But yes, happy that I’m not the only person seeing this problem.

From what I remember with the old folio the problem was repeated disconnects. The issue now is app specific to Facebook messenger.

Vyse2020

Suspended
Jul 2, 2020
I’m having a similar issue not sure if its related, I recently got an iPad Pro and Magic Keyboard, when I have Facebook messenger open and I try to type to someone it will sometimes randomly close the person I’m typing to and I have to go back in, no other APP is having this problem and I notice it doesn’t happen when I take my iPad off my Magic Keyboard, anyone else having this issue?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.