Facebook poll asking whether or not Obama should be assassinated found and pulled

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iPhone 62S, Sep 29, 2009.

1. iPhone 62S macrumors 6502a

iPhone 62S

Link

Personally, I think pulling it and especially the secret service investigation is stupid. Would people have reacted this way if a random Facebook poll had asked this about Bush? The comment about it being "racism" is just utterly stupid too.

2. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Haha.

Anways, to stay on topic, thats a really mean-spirited poll. I certainly hope the creator doesnt get sent "away" somewhere, but that was kind of mean. Assassination is not funny, regardless of political beliefs, unless you're playing Gaurdian in GoW, or you hit a guy from behind in Halo.

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Yes, it would've been the same. The Secret Service does not take talk of assassinating the president lightly.

4. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

Racism????

I agree. Its tiring hearng about everything being pointed back to racism.

First off why should he be assasinated. What about all the white men supporting him and voting for his policies?

The secret service has to investigate and determine the threat level.

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

It would have been more intense.

6. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

I kinda wonder if the programmers will "accidentally" leak the poll results...

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

8. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

It is illegal to threaten the president or vice-president so anyone who voted "yes" committed a crime, and I can assure you that people would have reacted exactly the same way if this had been asked about Bush.

And yes, the comment about racism is stupid, but then again it was quoted from a random Facebook user named "Coco Fly" so...

9. iPhone 62S thread starter macrumors 6502a

iPhone 62S

I believe the question wasen't "will you go out and kill the president", but "do you think he should be assissinated?" and while I certainly agree that Obama shouldn't be assassinated, it was a just a poll on Facebook! Odds are, the guy who created it did so out of boredom, and people who voted yes did so for a joke.

10. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

It doesn't matter. They always have to take "joking" and speculations about assassinating the President seriously. It doesn't matter who the President is.

11. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Exactly.

It'd also be pretty sick if the same was done about Bush.

12. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

How does the Secret Service know if it was a dumb joke done out of boredom without investigating it?

You don't joke about assassinating the president for the same reasons you don't jokingly say "I have a bomb!" while in line at airport security.

13. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Very illegal at that. I had such an incident happen at my university, in the computer lab I worked at, while I was working.

Back in the Windows 3.1 days, someone had logged into their university account (via telnet), checked their email, accidentally clicked on the background (bringing Windows to the foreground), didn't know what he did, and opened up another telnet session to his account. He checked his mail, logged out, and left, forgetting he still had his other session open.

Someone came up, saw that it was open, went into his mail, and emailed a very detailed version of 'I will kill you' to president at whitehouse.gov... within 10 minutes, the FBI and SS were were there investigating. Eventually, they did find the guy, and arrested him (funnily enough, in a political science class).

Clinton was president at the time. But this sure as hell is not stupid, and not a joke; it is very serious.

The people liked Lincoln even less, and look at what happened. It is because of stupidity like this that the SS was asked to protect the President (interestingly enough, after McKinley was assassinated).

The OP should go back and read history, and then really see how naive his comment is.

BL.

14. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Nor should they. This was a stupid poll, and I'm glad they are investigating.

15. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Its not an illegal threat to vote yes in a poll like that, nor is it to query. Its just ****ing stupid.

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I'm surprised it took this long for someone to post this poll. The extreme right have been so predictable thus far. This won't be the last of this, BTW. There will be more of this now. They will say they're being "silenced". :rolleyes:

17. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Anyone who says they are silenced for taking down an idiotic facebook poll would be an idiot. Anyone who says they would/are going to assassinate the president (which isn't what is being said here) should be stuck in jail for a year at least.

18. Shivetya macrumors 65816

Claims of racism are going to be very common, simply because it is far easier to brand your opponent than debate him.

As for assassination, he is our President and I would expect the SS to take it seriously.

19. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

What's to debate when people are talking assassination?

20. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

Oops... I think I need to change my pants on that one because I laughed pretty hard!

21. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I absolutely can not believe that you just stated that you would condone (even the legality of) anyone asking if the POTUS should be assassinated. Do you even realize where you are and what you are saying? This has absolutely nothing to do with any 1st Amendment rights to free speech. This is talking about asking if the leader of this country should be KILLED.

Do you know what happened at the end of the US Civil War, and the ramifications of it thereafter?

The person that did it at my university computer lab in Nebraska got 5 years just based on the threat. Treason carried another 5.

BL.

22. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

I can see how it would be investigated, but the people who voted yes shouldn't actually get in any trouble.

23. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

disputing the illegality has nothing to do with condoning actions. Even a conditional remark could falter as a threat to your life.

asking if someone should be killed in the manner that it was done does not constitute a threat to ones life. If it were a "vote here and I will do x action depending on the results" it would have been.

Needless to say the SS is going to be visiting your house to make sure you aren't a crazy **** with more plans. We won't see charges unlessthat is the case.

24. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

And when it concerns the POTUS, his/her family, the VPOTUS and his/her family, it should and MUST be investigated, especially if it is broadcast out through a public medium, like the Internet. In cases like this, even a conditional remark on the life of the POTUS has to be investigated, regardless of legality.

Obviously, the FBI, SS, and previous precedent-setting arrests disagree:

Abu Ali (still detained and awaiting trial on charges of conspiracy to assassinate Bush).
    Squeaky Fromme (just completed 30+ year sentence for conspiracy to assassinate Ford).
    George Andreas Atzerodt (executed for conspiracy to assassinate Johnson).

BL.