Facebook posts and work

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Mac'nCheese, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

So this happened: a few of us got a talking to (not me yet, but I'm on the list) about by our boss and HR about being careful what we post on facebook cause a fellow co-worker was insulted by something they read. I wouldn't say anyone's in trouble cause we don't really have a policy about this sort of thing so I think everyone is calling it a friendly warning. WTF?!?! Is my company's HR department run by a bunch of wimps who can't simply say, "We don't control what people say or do outside of work, if you are offended then don't read their facebook page"?? or is this now the norm?

2. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

What are your terms of employment?

Did you agree to not do anything that might reflect poorly on your employer?

3. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

That's an excellent point. I did not but I would still agree that if they found out we did something like post "Company name here sucks" that they would have grounds to do something. But for another employee to say "I was offended over a joke" (and yes, it was a work joke, it did reference something that happened at work) is, IMHO, not enough for HR to take action on. Its at the point where the guy I work with who does stand up on the side, is afraid to simply say MAN WORK WAS TOUGH TODAY. Maybe that's offensive...

4. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

"I was offended " is usually cause for Remedial Action by an employer.

At least that's true up here.

If your employment is at their 'pleasure'. well all bets in that area are definitely off.

5. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

We are in a right to work state so I think they can fire us at anytime without reason.

6. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Don't feel bad... I once got chewed out by my bosses back in the early-90s about a posting I made on a BBS...

7. Happybunny macrumors 68000

That's the same here in the Netherlands.

Any communication within the work space is governed by the ARBOwet.

8. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Find out who the coworker is and say they made a sexual pass at you. Done.

9. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Great idea but they, of course, never tell you who complained. So, say I slept with someone's wife and they make up a lie about me. I can never find out that they were the one who did it and defend myself by saying, he's just angry that I banged his wife.

10. eric/ Guest

eric/

You could just say that about everybody that gets mad at you, to cover your bases.

11. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

And it would be true too!

12. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

I'm wondering if you meant that yours is an employment-at-will state, which - as you say - allows them to fire you any time without reason (except for unlawful discrimination and such). Right-to-work is more concerned with being able to work without being forced to pay union dues, I believe.

Anyway, my philosophy is to never post anything even remotely, distantly negative about an employer. There is nothing good that can come of it, especially in an employment-at-will state. Further, a person starts interviewing with a potential new employer, the potential new employer may do some background checking, find the old post and say, "Hmmm. Do we really want someone who trash talks their employer.

EDIT: I think I misread your OP. Sounds like someone drew offense at something a co-employee said. Hmmm. Odd scenario. I work hard not to "friend" co-employees for several different reasons, this being one.

13. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Update: I had my meeting with my department's VP. He was embarrassed and kept apologizing to me. He couldn't give an eff about facebook or what we post and he told HR so. He was giving me a heads-up warning that he can't fight legal and HR and if they want to fire me they can. Which they don't since legal has not yet made a SOP on how to handle social media. They will, and he wants us to follow it for our own protection. He then gave me four tickets to the AMC movie chain so all in all, it was the best "you're in trouble" meeting I've ever had. And I've had one or two in my day....

14. Happybunny macrumors 68000

It was just been reported that FB misuse, is now the second major reason for termination of employment here in the Netherlands.
    Also because the employers are also networked it's very hard to get a new job.