Facebook Thugging .... Legal? Illegal?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by LIVEFRMNYC, Apr 8, 2015.

1. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

2. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

police state. way over board, hope the ACLU steps in to help out.

3. bmt134 macrumors 6502

Not the first time social media aids in the arrest of criminal activity, and it won't be the last.

4. TexanMan05 macrumors regular

TexanMan05

She wasn't cussing "nobody out". She posted a gun in what some may construe to be a threatening manner.

Will the arrest hold up in court? We will see. I do understand why the police stepped in and made the arrest.

5. LIVEFRMNYC thread starter macrumors 603

They only showed one post.

6. TexanMan05 macrumors regular

TexanMan05

I'm assuming, and I could be wrong, the post they showed was all that really mattered. It was most likely the post that got the cops called as indicated in the article. My apologies if in previous posts she did in fact curse people out.

7. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

I don't claim to know all of the details but she was charged with "Harassment by Computer". As with sexual harassment, a single unwanted sexual advance does not constitute harassment. It seems very silly to me that the police would arrest someone simply because they posted something on Facebook that could be perceived as threatening.

8. mudslag, Apr 8, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2015

mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

They specifically say "words were exchanged that we cant say on tv", whether or not that's what she was supposedly arrested for is still not clear. the article suggests the image is involved but then also suggests threats were made, then suggests it's the language, so it's not entirely clear the reason.

Though the officer is wrong about posting something on an online private forum, in this case facebook, is not the same as going out onto a public street and cussing. My money is that a half ass lawyer could easily argue freedom of speech in this case to get it thrown out.

9. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

I say let the ladies settle their dispute via trial by combat in a tub of jello.:D

10. LIVEFRMNYC thread starter macrumors 603

You don't know how the other one looks.

11. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Free speech issue for SCOTUS.

12. BigInDallas macrumors regular

BigInDallas

I don't know if the FB post was directed at anyone specific. If so then this is a offence that she should be held responsible for. If it was just a general post, however stupid it was, she doesn't deserve to be arrested

13. noodlemanc macrumors regular

noodlemanc

What criminal activity>

14. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

I would love to have her. Her only CRIME is being TOO FINE.

GIRL LET ME CUFF THAT

:D