Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
Didn't there used to be another app called Instagram? It was a nice, simple app that let you add retro effects to your photos. I wonder whatever happened to it :rolleyes:

Oh, I think I heard of it, iPhone-only, right?

:(

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
I'll make a service that allows 20 second videos, and I'll beat them both! Take that, no one though of that before!

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I don't think this is amazing.

But some of the responses in this thread are hilarious.

It's different from Vine because - it's integrated with FB, not twitter. It's 15 seconds - which might not seem like a big deal - but it can be. You have video filters and stabilization - something Vine doesn't have.

Both are viable products and serve different purposes. Just because there's more than one app or service doesn't mean there shouldn't be any others. Should BOX not exist because DropBox does? Should iRadio not exist because Pandora does? Should Yahoo Mail not exist because GMail does?

Don't like it - don't use it. Simple as that.

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
People have done some really creative stuff with six second clips on Vine. I wonder what they could do with 15.

iAmUndefined

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2012
MacRumors

I don't think this is amazing.

It's different from Vine because - it's integrated with FB, not twitter. It's 15 seconds - which might not seem like a big deal - but it can be. You have video filters and stabilization - something Vine doesn't have.

Both are viable products and serve different purposes. Just because there's more than one app or service doesn't mean there shouldn't be any others. Should BOX not exist because DropBox does? Should iRadio not exist because Pandora does? Should Yahoo Mail not exist because GMail does?

Don't like it - don't use it. Simple as that.

I agree people in these forums bash anything not Apple related. Millions of people will use this and love it. There is nothing to criticize unless you've used it.

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013
Still can't use an existing video. Useless.

If I see something awesome happening, I want to take a video with the normal camera app, so it will be saved at full resolution, and so I have as much recording time as I need.

Why don't Vine and Instagram then let you select the best 15 seconds out of the longer video you took?

Fail.

Wow, that's really stupid.

----------

Poke didn't seem to affect Snapchat's popularity.

Maybe because people didn't know about Poke, and Snapchat was already more popular? I've never even heard of Poke until now.

lzyprson

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2012
Wow, so, they just made a vine clone inside instagram that doesn't loop. So, how does this add anything beneficial to their service?

what kind of question is this?? The idea of Vine is great... but the app isn't so great and it seems that instagram figured out a better way.

Plus, more people use instagram then Vine - apparent by the amount of "likes" on user videos..

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
Poke didn't seem to affect Snapchat's popularity.

Poke wasn't installed on 130 million phones already. So there's no way for this to not hurt Vine at least marginally.

It does have some useful things like filters, the ability to set the frame used for the cover photo, and image stabilization.

And since Vine is still limited on Android to sharing to Twitter, Instagram has already got a head start on that platform when it comes to sharing.

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007

Sadly this seems to be 99.9% of the output of the Macrumors "community". Every Apple product is fatally flawed, every feature anyone adds to any product is "worthless", anything Facebook does is pointless, etc.

It would be nice if this story provoked a thoughtful discussion on the merits of this vs. Vine or other competing technologies, but you really have to sift through the crap you get from your average Macrumors user to get to any of that.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Well, Vine is going to die now.

Really doubt it. Vine grew faster than Instagram ever did and surpassed Instagram in posts. The Twitter integration of Vine is something Instagram can't touch.

----------

Sadly this seems to be 99.9% of the output of the Macrumors "community". Every Apple product is fatally flawed, every feature anyone adds to any product is "worthless", anything Facebook does is pointless, etc.

It would be nice if this story provoked a thoughtful discussion on the merits of this vs. Vine or other competing technologies, but you really have to sift through the crap you get from your average Macrumors user to get to any of that.

Well said. Seems all we ever see is complaints about anything social media related. Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram..... Nothing but complaining about them yet I bet most everyone uses them.

YeahBuddy

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2011
Boston, MA
They did do some cool things with it, but I'm such a huge Vine fan that I'm sticking with it. I'm sure a lot of people will like Instagram's offering, but I'll use it solely for photos.

UNLESS...Vine comes out with a photo sharing update!!! :p

xxnemoxx

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2011
I'll make a service that allows 20 second videos, and I'll beat them both! Take that, no one though of that before!

I'll make a video service that lets you upload ANY length of video!! HAHA BEat all of you!

of wait, there's already youtube :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.