Facebook Workers Routinely Suppressed Conservative News

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Fancuku, May 9, 2016.

1. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

The first thing I noticed when I moved to this country was how one sided media is in favor of the left. Fascist scum.

http://gizmodo.com/former-facebook-...source=gizmodo_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

2. Limey77 macrumors regular

The problem is that you are giving "conservative news sources" the same standing as established news sources.

If something appears on the NYT, BBC, The Guardian etc then you can generally accept that it actually happened. Now the why and what it means may be up for debate.

However the same is not true of conservative "news" sources. Often it is just some right wing blogger being posted over and over again and the being re-reported by likeminded hive sites.

Until it appears on a legit source it should be treated sceptically - as the story says.

So this "story" is nothing but an attempt to get dubious "news" sources some type of legitimacy.

3. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Fox News is far and away the most popular 24 hour news network. Right wing radio is much more popular than left wing radio. Yeah, that god damned left leaning news media!

4. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

Sorry to burst your precious little bubble, but Breitbart, the Washington Examiner, and Newsmax are not news sources. They are Right-wing gossip sites. Internet tabloids. They have no business being put into the same category as the Guardian or stories coming out of the BBC.

5. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

Do not qvestion the state-run media, citizens.

6. Limey77 macrumors regular

Completely the opposite in fact. Question all media and assess its trustworthiness.

Nobody is talking about a state-run media. We're just saying the the right-wing nut job websites do not stand up to the same sort of scrutiny as well respected news sources.

If and when they do, then they will justify their place in people's newsfeeds. If that was a conspiracy feed then they would already be prominent, but luckily there isn't.

7. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

Well I am sure trump will fix Facebook build a wall around it.

8. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

No one likes a whinner on the radio so they fail there. The left every other TV network and movie studio out there by the.... So yeah, the left leaning media.

9. Fancuku thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

So it's one network against everyone else.
    It proves the point that the overwhelming majority news outlets are controlled by the left.

10. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Only one news against everyone else?? Hardly. No newspapers are right leaning? No web sites? No movie companies at all? I don't think a bunch of lefties are the ones releasing a god is not dead type film every couple of months.

11. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

I have a right leaning bridge I will sell you.

12. Jess13 Suspended

Jess13

Trump’s going to phone Bill Gates and ask him to fix the Facebook problem.

13. HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

14. dec. Suspended

dec.

How stupid do you have to be to view a garbage dump like Breitbart as "news source"? I mean, really, come on...

15. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Right. Right-wing news is an echo-chamber writ large and populated by an army of Jon Snows merely regurgitating what they read from another source. And, often the kernel of truth in a story is stolen from an actual reporter and repeated without credit, but with additional, empty-headed political junk.

Left-wing sources do this too, but there's much less excitement surrounding them.

This doesn't prove anything. What we see on cable news—which is generally what everyone's arguing about for some reason—is that three large corporations are duking it out for ratings by creating a product (news?) to generate ratings and sell those eyeballs to advertisers.

Now, some high-minded producers and reporters actually try to do the news once in a while, but that's an artifact of the product.

If this news has some ideological bent, that's because Roger Ailes saw that Nixon got his assed kicked by the news—because he was a horrible person who got caught being horrible—and decided to subvert journalism to seek a political end: protecting the Richard Nixons of the world.

So, Ailes sold this idea to conservatives by telling them that the media was biased (not just against Nixon, but Republicans, the silent majority, etc.) against them.

But, this is obvious ********. The media is interesting in facts. You might not like the facts. The facts may piss you off, and you may disagree with the analysis of those facts.

Even among the editorial board, there can be major disagreements about the ultimate message. Some newsroom editorial meeting turn into Socrates dialogues as scripted by Quentin Tarantino. I've been in one in which an entire box of donuts was hurled at an editor over a complex political disagreement. From the editorial posting, it looks like the newspaper moved in lockstep, but the airborne Krispy Kremes prove otherwise.

Anyway, reporters are difficult children who don't like to toe lines. And, if that line comes from a corporate overseer with an eye to the bottom quarters of some political candidate, that reporter is quietly sharpening their pencil into a stake.

That's not always true, and some reporters love their politics more than their story, but ultimately, you should question any reporter who tells you that facts happen to fit their ideology.

My ideology looks like a weathered signal flag from some forgotten fort, and I'm regularly in the "mud and the blood" to cover what I think is important. My editor agrees with me, and keeps publishing my stuff and sending me paychecks.

16. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Not really shocking. Every news outlet has a bias and a determination of when and where to place their reports.

If FaceBook has to modify their top stories to account for lags in FaceBook members/drones to pick up the stories it's not shocking they will pick stories from major news sites over smaller, less credible sources.

17. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

18. Meister Suspended

Meister

It's intriguing to see how only the leftys think that only their newssources are the legit ones.

19. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

This has to potential to be a HUGE--and I really do mean HUGE--scandal that could cost several high-level managers at tech companies their jobs.

It doesn't take much to "tweak" the data algorithm--even subtly--to favor one political faction over another. Besides the Facebook News Feed, we need to look at the search and discovery algorithms for Facebook-owned Messenger, Instagram and WhatsApp, the search and discovery algorithms and use of hashtags in Twitter, the search and discovery algorithms for Snapchat, the search algorithms for Bing, Google and Yahoo!, the search algorithms for voice controlled searches in Apple Siri and Google Now on cellphones and on the Amazon Echo device, and even the product search algorithms on the Amazon and eBay web sites.

And if there is a connection for the reason for the data algorithms set this way done as a favor to powerful people on the political Left, the damage to the image of the entire tech industry could reverberate for years to come.

20. dec. Suspended

dec.

And that applies to the right just as well, your post doesn't make any sense, as usual.
    --- Post Merged, May 9, 2016 ---
    Do companies need to be neutral in first place? Is it some kind of requirement? Not saying that it's a good or bad thing, I'm just curious about the legal situation (which really DOES mean the legal situation. I'm not interested in any "they should.. , they could, they are too politcally correct to do... bla bla").

21. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I have to admit I've read the Washington Examiner a few times and they seem pretty good.

That said if you're talking about conservative news sources the Wall Street Journal is good, as is the London Telegraph or the London Times.
    Unfortunately, yes.

22. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

So...are they turning off the news feeds of the other networks or something?
    Apparently.

A side note...the Apple News app does the same thing. Seriously Apple, the bias is obvious so your app got parked unused.

23. steve knight, May 10, 2016
    Last edited: May 10, 2016

steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

We know fox is fake that's the difference.

24. Peterkro, May 10, 2016
    Last edited: May 10, 2016

Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I know your trying to inform our cousins but that would be "The Times" (the thunderer as opposed to the NYT which is the grey lady) and "The Telegraph".

E2a.Whoops more language based mistakes the would be the gray lady not grey.

25. decafjava macrumors 68000

decafjava

This is the most important take-away from this story, IMO, active manipulation of information - even more worrying than information filtering.