Facebook's affect on society?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by P-Worm, Jan 15, 2009.

1. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

This is something I have been thinking a lot about lately. Are social networking sites, such as Facebook, good for society as a whole? I'm not even talking about so-called privacy issues or the massive amount of time people devote to them (though I have concerns about those as well).

I don't have a myspace account (though my band does). I don't have a Facebook account. I don't have a twitter account. I don't touch these things because I think that it is an important development to teach yourself to be social. I believe that there is a deep hunger within each of us that to socialize with others. In the past, one would need to step outside of their comfort zone to fill that driving need. I see social networking sites as things that fill that deep need or hunger, but do so in a superficial way. Meeting people on the internet is considerably easier than meeting them in real life and so the personal gain you get from stepping outside your comfort zone is lost.

Maybe that isn't such a bad thing. It sure feels nice to be in touch with so many people. I'm also sure that social networking sites have helped people make friends that were too shy in the past. Even though they might not have faced their fears and gotten over being shy, they met some much needed friends. That can't be wrong, can it?

I want to hear everyone's opinion on the matter, but first, let me relay a story about one of my friends.

My friend had been seriously dating someone for quite some time. This guy she was dating left on an extended trip for multiple months. These two wrote each other letters while he was gone and she promised to wait for him to get back.

Well, I guess the wait was just too long because she started to date another guy. They eventually got engaged without her previous boyfriend even knowing about him. I wish she had told him she was dating someone else, but she didn't. What erks me the most, though, is that she didn't even bother to tell him personally that she got engaged. Instead, she felt that it was perfectly sufficient to just update her status on Facebook so that he would eventually find out that she was engaged while browsing her profile.

Sure, this is one case out of a million. And there's a good chance that even if Facebook wasn't around she would have found another slimey way to break the news to him. But the whole thing still concerns me a bit. The option was available and she took the easy way out. I'm sure the ordeal totally crushed her previous boyfriend and Facebook helped her be a coward. :(

Anyway, I want to know how everyone feels about social networking sites. Is there genuine cause for concern, or am I just a tin-foil-hat wearing fool?

P-Worm

2. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

3. Dejavu macrumors regular

Dejavu

Facebook is a step up from Myspace. Just barely...

4. P-Worm thread starter macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Sorry. My grammar's none good.

P-Worm

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i llike facebook.

lets me easily maintain contacts esp after college when everyone diverges career wise

6. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

while she was rather cruel about not breaking it off before she started dating another guy.

I see no problem in bothering not telling him that she got engage. The ex really do not give a rats ass and chances are really good that when they are told it really screws them up.

7. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Holy wrong thread, Batman!

This is why you back away from the keyboard when you've been drinking. :D

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

lol it is pertainent to this thread, read the op ;)

9. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Oh crap you're right! Maybe *I* shouldn't be drinking! Heh! :)

10. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Hey I was drunk off my ass after my ex broke up with me.

But that more from my point of view. I really do not want to know what the hell is going on in her life relationship wise. Her getting engage and me finding out about it on facebook just kind of made the rest of the day gloomy but that from my point of view. I would be perfectly fine if I never found out about it.

11. P-Worm thread starter macrumors 68020

P-Worm

The thing is, there was no way he wouldn't find out about it because they were planning to get married after he got back. If he didn't see the Facebook notice, he would have come home, bought a ring, and been like, "What?!"

I can't see how she wouldn't at least inform him, but I thought the use of Facebook was really cruel. It's amazing when there's a breakup harsher than a simple text message saying "It's over."

P-Worm

12. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Mind reading technologies? Who needs it?! Most voluntarily place their thoughts in online databases. We now know what you're thinking, where you've been, what you like to eat, and we know your political persuasion. We know who your friends are and we know what makes you tick.

13. runningman macrumors regular

My concerns with text messaging, face book, IM etc. is the concern for being able to disconnect for a short while without any input to what others are doing. The biggest concern is that it's a faceless interaction. People don't have to see or physically interact with an individual to see the impact there opinions either positive or negative or having on one another. It just further isolates people for social interaction.
    That said I have to go and check my facebook and myspace accounts

14. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Facebook's effect on me has been just okay. People come out of the woodwork that you haven't seen or heard from in years which is alright but some I'd have been happy to forget about.

I'm trying to ignore all the snowballs, drinks, and little green patches that come my way.

15. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Which is my main problem with Facebook… brrrrr.
    Too many skeletons in my errrr closet.
    :eek:

16. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Being remote from most of my friends that I grew up with, Facebook provides a convienent way to keep tabs on an awful lot of people without having to spend time talking to each of them individually. In that respect, it actually saves me time and expands the number of people I can easily keep up with.

17. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

so u dont waste time on myspace,facebook,twitter.....

and your addicted to macrumors insted.....:p

18. P-Worm thread starter macrumors 68020

P-Worm

If you read my post, my main concern isn't the time waster, but the fact that it makes people less social because it is more convenient.

P-Worm

19. techfreak85 macrumors 68040

techfreak85

so u socialize on macrumors... lol
    im just messin..:p

20. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Is this really a fact? Have there been studies done which document this alleged fact that you can point to? Or are you bandying about opinions and hypotheses as facts?

21. CHAOS STEP macrumors 6502

CHAOS STEP

I think the key thing to bear in mind in this case was that the girl was a avid user of facebook.

That, in itself should have triggered a warning sign to avoid dating such a person in the first place.

22. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Facebook seems a little more productive and informative than Myspace, which is more of a portal for teens and young 20-somethings.

The former can seem more job and networking related where as the other seems targeted more towards entertainment and depending on your mindset, one or the other is ok for what it was designed for.

If I am thinking about info on rock bands and pop culture, Myspace is better than Facebook, but I wouldn't use Myspace as my primary way to get business contacts ;)

These sites are best to use while at home when not doing work or homework. I can guess they are the top two sites that are responsible for lost time for kids supposed to be doing homework and adults supposed to be doing work.

23. P-Worm thread starter macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Sorry, I shouldn't have said fact. That is my hypothesis and the point of this thread.

P-Worm

24. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Fair enough.

25. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

FB is useful for me, keep in up with all my friends, kills time, and gives me more interaction with already close friends!

Sure it has negatives, but I'll take the trade offs!