FaceTime (iP4 and iP4s)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Badrottie, Dec 11, 2011.

1. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

From what I understand that FaceTime on iP4 requires WIFI and iP4s can be used with either WIFI and 3G network is that correct?

2. aphexacid macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

3. marc11 macrumors 68000

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

5. appleamg macrumors newbie

6. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Yep on wifi only but I've found if u drift away from wifi when using FaceTime 3G takes over till u end the call lol

7. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Who's your provider?

The moment I am out of reach from my router the FaceTime call drops.

8. Badrottie thread starter Suspended

Badrottie

9. aztooh macrumors 6502a

Why "bummer"? Download the Tango app. It's free. Works on 3G. It's cross platform. There's a PC app, and they're working on a Mac app for it.

People around here act like FaceTime is the ONLY video chat option available. You have a great piece of technology, use it.

10. Badrottie thread starter Suspended

Badrottie

Yeah I just found out about Tango yesterday after reading my friend's blog. I haven't test it yet.

11. ninjaw95 macrumors 6502

you can get it on 3G for iphone 4, but a JB is required =/

12. aztooh macrumors 6502a

See post 9 above.

Why do people make such a big deal out of using a 3rd party app to do video chat over 3G? There are several that work.

13. M Quick macrumors 6502

M Quick

I have One word for you;

Convenience.

14. aztooh macrumors 6502a

So then I assume you have downloaded ZERO apps, and only use what came pre-loaded on the phone? Because downloading the app is the only "inconvenience" of the process.

And speaking of convenience; how about the fact that Tango (as well as Skype and Yahoo! Messenger for that matter) are also cross-platform utilities, whereas FaceTime is not. Not EVERYONE has an iPhone or iPod touch. Need/want to "FaceTime" with someone using an Android? Can't. How about Windows Phone? Nope. A PC? Get real.

Tango can. And soon to be MAC compatible as well.

More on convenience? You're somewhere with no wifi but you do have a 3G signal and want to FaceTime. Tough luck for you. Tango will work just fine, though. As will the other 2 mentioned.

I'd say Tango is more "convenient" than FaceTime. And it will remain that way until A. It's usable over 3G and B. Is cross platform compatible.

15. M Quick macrumors 6502

M Quick

No need to try to advance the discussion, because i just gave you the answer to why people think it's bothersome.

It's like you would need to download another app to make a phone call to another one, not just that, the other one you're calling too.. How convenient is that?

I don't care about the question in person, just so you know, so i am not in any way affected by this "problem". I'm just expressing why people may think so.

16. French macrumors regular

I could have sworn when Facetime was first introduced, Steve Jobs himself said the API for Facetime would be opened up "later". What the heck happened to that?