facetime is pointless because.....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fleali88, Jun 7, 2010.

1. fleali88 macrumors regular

its only on wifi! i can do the exact same thing on my macbook pro. or i can tether my JB 3gs and video chat ANYWHERE on my 3g network. until the iphone 4 can "facetime" over 3g network its just as normal as the video chat we use every day on our computers. end rant.

2. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

3G would be nice of course, but the data usage would probably be very high, and pricey with the new plans. but for now, there are always wifi hotspots outside your home.

3. edtorious macrumors 65816

edtorious

makes sense but the advantage of the iPhone 4 is mobility and easy access, you can video chat from anywhere and anytime, where there is wifi. You don't want to carry your mbp around while video chatting right? :cool:

4. Raptura macrumors 6502

Raptura

To be honest, what are the chances of two people in Wifi zones, each with an iPhone 4, having to use video call without it being a gimmick or 'for fun'?

It'd be nice if it were on 3G so you can actually make a REAL video call.

5. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

Well, facetime would be pointless on 3g since it would barely function at all.

What do you prefer? :rolleyes:

6. Opstech macrumors 6502a

Opstech

I catch your drift, but think about what you’re saying. “You can do that at home”
    I spend a lot of time in places that have free WiFi. I like the idea of moving around places to shoot video around the rooms or restaurants. My wife can shoot video of my kids playing in the room without holding her macbook to get them in the picture. It’s more of a convenience for my wife and I. I know my brother will use it in Iraq. Where he is at, he can’t have a laptop, but can use their phones. He uses his 3GS to shoot video messages. Now we can talk live.

7. dangsdunks macrumors member

not too concerned there is an app in cydia already, only a couple of weeks before itll work for the iphone 4.

8. uneek1 macrumors regular

University campuses are pretty much all WiFi, so there is a good example.

Although, you are right, both being in a WiFi will be a bit harder to come by.

9. thedarkhorse macrumors 6502a

It will still be more convenient for people who frequently are around wifi. It's still the difference between a 6 pound laptop and a device that fits in the palm of your hand

10. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Man, if there were only some way to make an iPhone more portable than a MacBook Pro ..............

I will probably use it rarely if ever, but it's not pointless. WiFi hot spots are everywhere in populated areas. It's going to be on 3G eventually, but it's hardly some sort of dealbreaker.

11. fleali88 thread starter macrumors regular

EXACTLY!

lol, honestly how many times during a normal day do you go to random wifi hotspots to use your iphone? yeah hardly ever, I only use my iphone on wifi at home, or very few places that i go to regularly that have it. and i probably wont know anyone with an iphone 4 other than me, so i wont even get to use it. also you must have to set up an account for "facetime" if you are on wifi. you cant exactly call people on wifi with your att number.

12. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

And why your rant fails:

You assume that everyone who has an iPhone has a Macbook/Macbook Pro.

You assume that it is just as normal as everything else.

You assume that everyone has an iPhone 3G S or newer.

All 3 assumptions are wrong.

My father just bought himself an iPhone 3G S. The computer he has doesn't have anything video chat related on it (though it can, should he purchase a mic and webcam), because I built his computer from scratch and shipped it to him.

My ATT contract is up for renewal in August, meaning I can get the iPhone 4 when it comes out. Until my father can put together the time to get plane tickets to come out to where I am, Facetime will be the first time he will be able to see his newly born grandson and interact with him in real time.

In conclusion, your rant about Facetime fails, and fails miserably.

BL.

13. Cougarcat macrumors 604

I don't really care about 3G video chat because we all know that it will take a bloody miracle for it to work well over AT&T's network. And knowing them, the world will get it early next year, followed by AT&T a year later with a $20 usage fee, just like tethering. :rolleyes:

I'd rather see Facetime (is it just me or is that name terrible) support with ichat. So I'd be able to call my friend, who doesn't have an iPhone but has a Mac w/ an iChat account.

I will probably end up just sticking to Skype on Wifi (maybe it will support 3G too) when it gets updated with video support.

14. thedarkhorse macrumors 6502a

Yeah but also think of other apps like Skype which has millions of users. Even if they are also limited to wifi it will still be hugely popular on iPhone 4

15. fleali88 thread starter macrumors regular

also did you notice you were the ONLY person who 100% disagreed with me.

and thats why you fail.

and dont tell me you or your father dont have computers with webcams.

16. uneek1 macrumors regular

Now that I think about it, the only time I am not around WiFi is driving to and from work. And I shouldn't be video chatting in the car anyways :p

17. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

So just because people disagree with you, they must be wrong?

How narcissistic.

And no. I don't have a computer with a webcam. I haven't had a need for one until my son was born.

What you fail to understand is that there are people with needs for something like this, and I just gave you a glowing example of it. And thanks to that and your response, you have just shown how oblivious and naive you are to those needs.

BL.

18. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

Imagine if they put video cameras on all the pay phones in the world. :confused::eek:

19. jb1280 macrumors 6502a

Facetime is not pointless, and I think the video they released on it demonstrates exactly what the vast majority of people who will use it will use it for.

I am sure there are those that find it pointless not to be able to do it over 3G, but I guarantee it will be a very compelling feature for guy who spends a lot of time in hotel rooms but has small kids, etc.

20. Screwtape macrumors regular

That is why I'm keeping my unlimited data plan and hoping someone enables 3G facetime though jailbraking.

I like the way Apple did it though. It's much better than any third-party app.

21. fleali88 thread starter macrumors regular

i know you love apple and all but, the iphone 4 is not the only way in the universe for your father to see your son over the internet, actually its probably the most expensive way there is 300$ vs 15$ webcam. yeah

22. fleali88 thread starter macrumors regular

i do understand that aspect of it, but its just not like people cant video chat without an iphone 4, you can get cheap webcams anywhere now.

23. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

A choice. :rolleyes:

24. anti-microsoft macrumors 68000

FaceTime is not pointless, I agree. Now: Maybe. But in a year or two it's going to be:

1. On 3G
    2. Available on other phones (It's going to become an Industry Standard)

So then it will be awesome. Now it's pretty useless but someone had to start somewhere, didn't they?

Ams.

25. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Thank you very much. I wouldn't have truly realized the importance of a feature like this if I didn't have a child myself. Something like this would go a long way for someone like, say, grandparents who couldn't make it to see their grandchild or great-grandchild..

Or better yet, someone in the military serving half way around the world, and getting the chance to literally see everyone in their family while saying hi to them on Thanksgiving or Christmas.

Yet the OP thinks that Facetime would be pointless... :rolleyes:

BL.