FaceTime issue

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by dcmaccam, Sep 26, 2017.

1. dcmaccam macrumors member

I have an issue with FaceTime on my 2011 iMac. Called my sister in the US on FaceTime and encountered this problem.

When I connect, I get her in the main window. My own image in the top left of the FaceTime screen is a static image.

On her side my image doesn't show at all. Either when she is using her MacBook Air or her iPad.

Voice is OK

If I try the same from my MacBook Air this end all works fine.

It was working OK on my iMac on EL Capitan.

Don't know if I have missed some setting or something unique when trying to connect from a 2011 iMac.

2. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Does the camera work outside of FaceTime, like in PhotoBooth?

3. dcmaccam thread starter macrumors member

Well just noticed that when I start FaceTime without connecting to anyone my image freezes either right away or after a few seconds. The same thing happens on Photo Booth
    --- Post Merged, Sep 26, 2017 ---
    Don't know if there is any Pref file that I could trash that might help.

4. Cougarcat macrumors 604

That's a bit worrisome because it suggests it's the camera itself, not an app. I'd do a reinstall. Or maybe wait for the first public beta of 10.13.1 and try that.

5. dcmaccam thread starter macrumors member

The thing is it was working fine under EL Capitan and only started upon the installation of High Sierra

6. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Sorry, I meant the camera drivers, not the actual hardware. Why a reinstall is your best bet.

7. dcmaccam thread starter macrumors member

Maybe it was something to do with the fact I migrated my system from El Capitan.

8. Cougarcat macrumors 604

That shouldn't matter. You should be able to upgrade from Snow Leopard to High Sierra. But things can happen with big OS installs. You should contact apple about the issue if you haven't already.

Another thing to try is here: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4282533?tstart=0 with that terminal command. I assume you've already tried restarting.

9. dcmaccam thread starter macrumors member

Tried booting my EL Capitan partition all OK then back to High Sierra freeze. Tried the terminal command which unfroze it for several seconds then it froze again. Sometimes it freezes right away other times after several seconds. I think I will leave it to see if any change after a couple of updates.Thanks for the help and advice.

10. h9826790 macrumors G5

h9826790

My iSight easily get freeze in High Sierra as well. It never happen in any previous OS, but just High Sierra. The only factor that may affect the freezing frequency is the CPU loading. For high CPU loading, camera freeze usually in few seconds. When CPU at almost idle, the camera can work for very long time.