Facetime, losing my mind, can't get it working

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tsmithgolf2000, Jun 23, 2010.

1. tsmithgolf2000 macrumors regular

I have 2 brand new iphone 4's and they are on my home Linksys network and I can't connect facetime. WTF am I missing. When I hit facetime connect button, the other phone get's prompted and then a few seconds later it fails.

2. APPLEFAN8 macrumors 65816

APPLEFAN8

Maybe because it is the same network, that's all I can think of.

3. tsmithgolf2000 thread starter macrumors regular

Has anyone gotten facetime working with a new iphone 4 today?

4. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

5. johnnyfiive macrumors 6502

johnnyfiive

6. kingnimrod macrumors member

go to:

Settings > Phone > Facetime and activate the enable button

7. tsmithgolf2000 thread starter macrumors regular

I did that for both, I can get a mobile call up and hit the facetime button, the other phone get's prompted to accept facetime call and then it get's stuck in connecting state and then times out and fails.

8. bidwalj macrumors 6502a

When u turn them on make sure it registers them. I have two as well and mines working flawlessly.

9. bikr macrumors newbie

Could be same network causing the issue, you are natting out of your router to a proxy then back in , has to be causing an issue, routers hate that!.

try to find an open wifi spot near your house to test the other one from.

10. mdntblu macrumors member

There are probably ports you have to forward to get it to work. Who knows what they are though.

11. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

I think this is realistic. Apple probably didnt bother because really, beyond testing would you need this? No. So one of you go to starbucks and report back.

12. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

Nope, not a torrent. Same basic networking principals still apply.

13. prouse macrumors newbie

I tried unsuccessfully to connect on the same network two different times today
    - once at my home network
    - once at my office

I as soon as one of the phones was connected to a different network, facetime worked as expected.

14. itcrashed macrumors regular

itcrashed

Facetime worked perfectly fine with two phones on the same wifi network for me. I have 12 down and 2 up uverse connection. Try resetting your router and wifi access points and give it a whirl again.

15. Blaze3555 macrumors member

Blaze3555

Face time

I had my iphone all day can some one call me i relly want to try out face time some pm.

16. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

I tried FT between 2 iPhones in the Apple store...obviously on the same network....no go.

17. iKennett macrumors 6502

Both our iPhone 4's work on our home network. I reverted one of them from a back up so had to manually turn face time on in the settings panel. It 100% works on the same network, done it a coupled of times too.

Also our local apple store had a banner saying to try face time which we did, each phone has a number near it and the contacts have them numbers as faves, you can call each other and then use face time in store.

18. MacGotMe macrumors newbie

Same network was my guess too. Try giving one to your friend (or to me) to test for you on another network! ;-)

On another note, is it possible to tell which of your contacts actually have FaceTime? I found this post: How to Tell Which Contacts Have FaceTime for iPhone 4 but it doesn't actually give me the info I'm looking for... Any ideas?

19. mbhforum macrumors 6502a

I had major issues also. Did you port your # from verizon or sprint? If so, reset settings in General settings and that will fix it. Also, go to Starbuck and use AT&T's wifi network to eliminate it being an issue with your network.

20. Jestered macrumors 6502

The Address Book on the phone doesn't have a way of telling which of your contacts uses an iPhone 4. Unless that is somehow changed (not sure how), you won't know which of your contacts can Face Time with you.

21. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

just so you know, in settings>phone>show my caller ID... must be on

22. torid110 macrumors regular

I also use it on my home network and tested between my iphone and my wife's. Works fine. I'm wondering if it's what the other threads have been saying that you need a texting plan for it to work. Do you have a texting plan ? Have you tested using Apple's facetime test line ?

23. Sirphillyc macrumors newbie

Did you activate face time in setting won't work till you do that

24. sleyeu macrumors 6502

but they were facetiming in WWDC, must have been on same network...

25. rmitchell248 macrumors 6502

i have been wanting to use face time but dont know anyone who had an iphone 4 to work with LOL. I was hoping it could interface with somebody on the other end using iChat but that looks like a no go?