Facetime on 3GS

froggiemlm

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
i have a IP4 but my wife has a 3GS is there a cydia app to get facetime on the 3GS yet? ive looked but didnt see anything.

Will this even be possible?

lionheartednyhc

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2009
i have a IP4 but my wife has a 3GS is there a cydia app to get facetime on the 3GS yet? ive looked but didnt see anything.

You are aware you don't have a front camera, correct? How were you planning on doing this?

mgamber

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2008

I like the "yet"...as if there's a camera and additional software in the phone and everyone's just holding in the big secret. :D

And no, it's not possible. Never will be.

TSX

macrumors 68030
Oct 1, 2008
Texas
Knocking live in the app store is what you want. It's only one way though.

kuhroo25

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2010
Actually you can do this with Fring. Install it on the iPhone 4 and the 3GS, but make sure the 3GS is on iOS4 or 4.0.1. You get two-way video calling fring to fring but the feed will be coming from the back of your phone. Kind of pointless unless you are standing in front of a mirror.

theskunk

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2007
Actually -- I would love to have this features -- not to activate the video on the 3gs, but to at least let the person on the other end see me.

I have an iPhone 4, the girlfriend has a 3GS. If she could see me, and do a one directional video conference that'd be fantastic.

hackthatphone

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2010
Speaking of the iPhone 4, I really love the form factor but own a 3G S. Is there any way I can stick the guts from the 3G S into the iPhone 4? You know to fool my friends and stuff.

Absrnd

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
Flatland
just buy the iPhone 3Gs add on in the shop, it's called the iPhone 4 this iphone add on can be used with or without the iphone 3Gs, this add on even works with all older iphones :D

awadeee

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2011
Canada
Speaking of the iPhone 4, I really love the form factor but own a 3G S. Is there any way I can stick the guts from the 3G S into the iPhone 4? You know to fool my friends and stuff.
Yeah bro, but first you have to do something called "Jail Break" where you submerge the phone completely in water for 4 and a half minutes. This allows you to connect to the mainframe where Saurik will then spoof your phone as an iPhone 4 toward Apple's servers. Live long and prosper, homie!

Jokes aside, FaceTime does not exist on the 3Gs through any hack that I know of. There are only the other workarounds listed in the previous posts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.