FaceTime on LTE AT&T unlimited data

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by montycat, May 28, 2013.

1. montycat macrumors 6502

montycat

I have an AT&T unlimited data plan. Lately I have been able to FaceTime without Wi-Fi using LTE. Has AT&T change the policy for limited data plan and FaceTime. I've searched the forums for an answer to this but I guess I missed something. I can't see AT&T doing this:eek:

2. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

Yes it's been changed. Essentially, they don't want to lose a lawsuit.

For the record, there's a thread on this already. :)

3. montycat thread starter macrumors 6502

montycat

Thanks lordofthereef! That's great news! I didn't see the other thread. I think I'll keep my unlimited date plan now:D

4. Jleroy macrumors regular

Jleroy

Yes. I thought they were teasing again but my family plan is grandfathered unlimited that I've hung onto just for this reason. Finally paid off.

5. montycat thread starter macrumors 6502

montycat

I was hanging on for the same reason. I'm a huge user of FaceTime. It's great to use this feature unlimited when I'm away from wifi.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

About time.
    Glad they changed that rule and treat their unlimited data plan customers fair now.
    It was the only carrier that wasn't allowing FaceTime over carrier data to unlimited plans.

7. Blorzoga, May 29, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2013

Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Just discovered it this morning. Very psyched. Anyone know how long this has been possible?

8. lordofthereef, May 29, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2013

lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

9. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Yeah, it's hit-or-miss with AT&T. Before LTE, I would routinely go over the 2GB limit and was only throttled once (wasn't notified, but was definitely throttled). Since LTE, I haven't come close to 5GB, but it's nice to know they're not strict about enforcement.

10. frito1224 macrumors regular

----------

[/COLOR]

We all know it's not truly unlimited since they throttle at 5GB. I still have to monitor my usage to make sure I don't go over.[/QUOTE]

You can get around the throttling if you have another smartphone thats not an iphone just put it on your account for a few hours call att have them change the data plan to LTE unlimited for smartphones call them back in a few hours change everything back and then no more throttling

Sorry if the post looks screwed up did it from my iphone don't think it worked right

11. vahighland macrumors member

Is this only available for iPhone 5? I have an iPhone 4s with unlimited, but I can't turn on the Use Cellular Data message without getting prompted to call At&t

12. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Sweet! I can actually start using Facetime on a regular basis!!! Although.. I probably won't anyway, because a) my adoption period has passed (i.e. it's hard to start using a feature once you've already received it and then decided to not use), and b) it's not cross platform so that greatly limits my options, and c) the people who do have iPhone's don't have unlimited data....

13. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

What's the adoption period?

14. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Realistically I'd say it's a few months. And what I mean by that is, whenever there is a new feature (say FaceTime, Siri, Apple Maps, etc), people will generally try it for a small period of time (few months) and decide if they like it or not. If they don't like it, they'll stop using it entirely. Once that happens it'll take a huge force to overcome that inertia of indifference.

For example, I really, really tried to use Siri, but it just annoyed me too frequently by long waits/down servers, so I stopped. Maybe it's improved, but I don't know. but it will take something really compelling to get me interested in it again.

15. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

On one hand, it is nice. On the other, I wish I understood how they decide to enforce. I live in a big city, so the population density idea is out the window. Not complaining though. The only reason I have been hitting these numbers is because I literally started doing everything off of wifi as a test to see what throttled LTE would be like. Most months I am not even hitting 2GB because I have wifi at home, work, and the gym. My data is all GPS use (obviously minimal) and music streaming while in the car. Even the train has AT&T wifi.

----------

I think AT&T came to the conclusion that the potential stress on their network caused by the relatively few people holding on to this plan is going to be so minimal that it's not even worth dealing with the complainers. You make some very good points; I haven't really cared to use facetime on cellular either. As mentioned above, I have wifi almost everywhere but the car (where facetime is an obviously terrible idea) and I have facetimed maybe three times since its inception.

16. moonman239 macrumors 68000

Maybe people on tiered data plans don't use FaceTime as often as people on unlimited data plans would. That could be why it's not working for you. Or maybe the feature hasn't been turned on in your area yet.

17. babens macrumors member

I believe it's only available on the LTE network, which would explain why you can't enable the feature on the 4S

18. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

From what I have read, they will be rolling it out for the previous models of iPhone in the coming months. Right now it only works on iPhone 5, but it will still work will on HSPA/+ on the iPhone 5.

19. NikeTalk macrumors 6502a

Thanks MR, didn't realize they had turned on this feature. Don't use it everyday but nice to know I can whenever i'm out!