FaceTime on shared data only = win!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Eric5964, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Eric5964 macrumors regular

Eric5964

I was quite upset to learn that you could not use FaceTime over cellular unless you had shared data. Being one guy on a plan with one device, I am thinking that this is ridiculous! How can they tell me how to use my data!?

I currently had the Nationwide unlimited, 4 GB data with hotspot capabilities, and unlimited texting. Well it turns out that I was able to switch to a shared plan with the same one device, unlimited text and talk, and the same 4 GB of data, with mobile hotspot feature. Utilizing my corporate discount for this plan, which was not good on the other plan as well! All in all, I am saving $30 a month for the same service and adding the FaceTime over cell! Win-win for me for what started out to be a bad deal. I am happy....plus she waved my $36 IPhone 5 startup fee for Friday! Bang!

EricE

2. knemonic macrumors 6502a

Wouldn't it rock if eventually they considered data to data on the same network was shared and free? As in how calling another Verizon phone if you have Verizon's free?

This would rock cause then you could make FaceTime calls for free.

A man can dream. A man can dream.

3. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

I read somewhere that the Mobile Share includes Hot Spot but I can't find it anywhere on AT&Ts website. I think it was Apple's website when I viewed the compare plans thing. Can anyone link me to where I can see this is for sure.

4. knemonic macrumors 6502a

I kow Verizon's shar everything plan includes the hot spot, not sure about AT&T.

5. Surrylic macrumors regular

6. jesusplay macrumors 6502a

7. macbookairman macrumors 6502a

I don't have a link for you, but I can tell you that I just switched to an ATT Mobile Share Plan over the weekend, and I now have hotspot access.

8. Eric5964 thread starter macrumors regular

Eric5964

It does include hot spot on AT&T, check the shared data plan on their website, it states it and she verified it. Thanks

EricE

9. snook911 macrumors 6502a

I am with u on that. I have had facetime over 3G since the iPhone 4 with jailbreak. The problem is my speeds are so slow it does not work very good. Hopefully with LTE it will work better. Also hopefully we won't have to wait to long for the jailbreak. That's the one thing I don't like about upgrading every year. I love all my jailbreak apps and having to live without them for a few months really sucks.

10. darster Suspended

11. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

All Mobile Share plans include hotspot. I just switched on iPhone order day and it works great. From this page:

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB410606

-Kevin

12. jalpert macrumors 6502

I'm glad you saved money, but I wouldn't call that much of a victory.

A 'win' would be letting us use the data that we paid for in any way we see fit, no matter what plan we were on.

13. ugp macrumors 65816

ugp

Thanks.

14. billinaz macrumors 6502

billinaz

Exactly. Ive had facetime over cellular from the very first time facetime was available.

I also like the tethering you can do. Just dont stream or ATT will catch on.

15. jetlitheone macrumors 6502a

Wait so with Verizon unless I switch to a share everything I can't use FaceTime over lte?

16. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

This might be the only situation where I might switch. If an employee discount saves you a lot more money by switching.

But yeah, unlimited and jailbreak rule all. Been enjoying facetime over cellular the past two years. :)

17. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

No, Verizon is allowing it over all plans.

-Kevin

18. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

If I have an ATT shared plan can I facetime with someone who doesn't or do they need it to? And what if we both do, but its not the same plan. Can I facetime with someone who has their own shared plan even if I'm not the one sharing it with?

19. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

It's going to be per phone. The phone (along with the plan) is going to need to be able to do Facetime over cellular.

So, if you have an AT&T mobile share plan....you can do facetime. But if you are calling someone who has an AT&T old-style plan.....I'm guessing your call will fail because their phone can't do it (unless they are on WiFi).

-Kevin

20. 2SwiFt29 macrumors regular

2SwiFt29

With me having the grandfather plan, I hope FCC does pressure AT&T to allow facetime over cellular. It'd be dumb for me to switch to the shared plan.

21. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

The only way AT&T's shared plans would make sense for me is if they included the first device in the data plan price. I'd switch in a heartbeat if that were the case.