Facetime over cellular on at&t after 6.0.1?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kre62, Nov 1, 2012.

1. kre62 macrumors 68000

I just updated to 6.0.1. I have an att phone. Im in Tokyo Japan right now, roaming on Softbank. I tried before to turn on facetime over celluar and still got the att f you pop up.

Well i just installed 6.0.1 and now the swich for cellular data is in The ON position! I have no idea if this means i can now facetime over cell cause i have data off right now.

Can anyone with att phone chack and see if their switch is now on? Would be awesome to get this feature with my unlmited plan.

2. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

The switch is off for me unless you have the proper plan. Not sure how that helps you in Japan....

3. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

Switch is "off" for me - cannot switch on without a different plan. :(

4. denaliOnDubs macrumors regular

denaliOnDubs

I just updated to 6.0.1 also. I have an at&t iPhone 5 with an unlimited data plan. The switch is still off and it prompts you to go to the website or call customer care. Your's probably works because you are roaming on another carrier's network that doesn't limit this... Could be wrong but that's my best guess.

5. kre62 thread starter macrumors 68000

Interesting

I'll have to see if this holds when I get back to the US. If so, I'll be a happy guy, and we will now know a loophole to getting Facetime over Cellular.

6. aphexacid macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

A trip to Japan?

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It doesn't work.
    Just tried on my i5 with unlimited data on AT&T.

8. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

lol

9. kre62 thread starter macrumors 68000

Just be roaming on any other network and do a software restore. Can be Canada, whatever.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Sure.
    So I can pay an arm and a leg for roaming data internationally :)

11. kre62 thread starter macrumors 68000

Doesn't seem like people are quite getting it.

I'm not interested in using FaceTime while roaming. What i am interested in is seeing if the switch stays in the on position when I get back to the US. I will then have FaceTime over cellular with an unlimited AT&T plan.

I will update when I get back to us. I think it may work as I am using te same AT&T sim. I've turned airplane mode off and on and no change to switch so far. Make sense?

12. Daniel L macrumors 6502

It's weird. You'll probably still have it when you come back to the states but as soon as you try it, it disappears.

I was roaming in Thailand and I could set up a personal hotspot. The option was still there when I got back to Los Angeles but when I flipped it on it just disappeared.

13. kre62 thread starter macrumors 68000

I've seen that with hotspot before. I am thinking this is different because the software only checks when you are flipping the switch. Once its on, therees no more checks. With Hotspot, it keeps checking your status cause its a subscription service.

Well know when I get back November 12th.

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

15. CosmoPilot macrumors 65816

CosmoPilot

Overseas = different carrier = different rules. AT&T will get you with data roaming. When you return, FT will be locked out.

I travel overseas constantly, and FT is an option once you get off AT&Ts network...but it would be costly. When you return to AT&Ts network, FT will be locked out again.