FaceTime resulted in 42 mins of Call time ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by james77, Jan 27, 2012.

1. james77 macrumors member

I could use some input. I got my AT T iPhone 4s today. I talked with someone using FaceTime for about 40 minutes. I checked my cellular usage and its showing that I made 45 mins of calls - when I checked the call log it list a call with the person I face times with for 40 mins.

It was my understanding that FaceTime works with the wifi network and data and minuets are not used.

I don't think this a big scam or anything I just need some input as to wether my understanding was wrong or is it that the phone keeps track of FaceTime as a call but A TT won't be billing for it

Thanks for helping out a nube

2. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

Did you called them first then initiate FaceTime or did you FaceTime them without a phone call?

I'm with you. I thought using FaceTime didn't use any cellular minutes.

3. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

On the phone I've found facetime goes into the usage stats but doesn't use up your actual minutes.

4. salacious macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

FaceTime is only active via data so it's impossible to use call time?

5. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

This. Since it's Wi-Fi only(assuming you're not jailbroken), it does not use actual minutes on your phone's plan. If it does, however I would suggest phoning AT&T Customer Service.

6. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

^^^ +1 Since you are uncertain, call 611 on your iPhone before you find out otherwise...good question, keep us posted...:cool:

7. james77 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your responses. It appears that the phone itself logs it as phone time usage but I have checked my minuets online and its not showing up at all. The phone calls I made after the face time session do show up (as they should) so I think everything is fine and dandy !

8. SHirsch999 macrumors 6502a

If you need more call time you can have some of my minutes. Last month my wife and I used a grand total of 114 minutes of our 700. So 586 roll over to the new month. I am loving my phone, but quite frankly I would love even more an iPod touch with a data plan and go back to a pay-as-you-go phone, but that is for a different discussion. :)