FaceTime resulted in 42 mins of Call time ?

james77

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
I could use some input. I got my AT T iPhone 4s today. I talked with someone using FaceTime for about 40 minutes. I checked my cellular usage and its showing that I made 45 mins of calls - when I checked the call log it list a call with the person I face times with for 40 mins.

It was my understanding that FaceTime works with the wifi network and data and minuets are not used.

I don't think this a big scam or anything I just need some input as to wether my understanding was wrong or is it that the phone keeps track of FaceTime as a call but A TT won't be billing for it

Thanks for helping out a nube

lsvtecjohn3

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008
Did you called them first then initiate FaceTime or did you FaceTime them without a phone call?

I'm with you. I thought using FaceTime didn't use any cellular minutes.

reclusive46

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2011
Canada
Did you called them first then initiate FaceTime or did you FaceTime them without a phone call?

I'm with you. I thought using FaceTime didn't use any cellular minutes.

On the phone I've found facetime goes into the usage stats but doesn't use up your actual minutes.

salacious

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

FaceTime is only active via data so it's impossible to use call time?

Kyotoma

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2010
Carnegie and Ontario
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

FaceTime is only active via data so it's impossible to use call time?

This. Since it's Wi-Fi only(assuming you're not jailbroken), it does not use actual minutes on your phone's plan. If it does, however I would suggest phoning AT&T Customer Service.

james77

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
Thanks for your responses. It appears that the phone itself logs it as phone time usage but I have checked my minuets online and its not showing up at all. The phone calls I made after the face time session do show up (as they should) so I think everything is fine and dandy !

SHirsch999

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2011
If you need more call time you can have some of my minutes. Last month my wife and I used a grand total of 114 minutes of our 700. So 586 roll over to the new month. I am loving my phone, but quite frankly I would love even more an iPod touch with a data plan and go back to a pay-as-you-go phone, but that is for a different discussion. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.