FaceTime (Why WiFi restriction?) vs GoogleTalk Video, Skype, Tango, Vtok (WiFi+3G)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by YaBoiD, Apr 28, 2011.

1. YaBoiD, Apr 28, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2011

YaBoiD macrumors regular

YaBoiD

I have had my iPhone 4 for a little over a month now and loving it so far. One thing that is bugging me though is Apple or AT&T or both have restricted FaceTime calling to only Wi-Fi and disabled it on 3G. Video calling apps such as Vtok, Tango, Skype, etc... all are operational over 3G. With Google announcing today that GoogleTalk video calling will now be part of the OS and be available to use over Wi-Fi or 3G, does anyone think that Apple/AT&T/Verizon will loosen the reigns a bit on this ridiculous restriction? :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJAiH5-64sI&feature=player_embedded

2. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

I believe both AT&T and Verizon weren't too eager to allow users to Facetime with their data plans. Two things, it would eat up a lot of data (about 1.5MB's per minute) and the quality would likely be very crappy. Especially with Verizon, but also with AT&T. I often have a 1-2MBPS connection with my iPhone and using Facetime over 3G really isn't great - at all. And with Verizon 3G speeds being limited to about 3.3MBPS and the average being around 1-2, I can't see them faring much better.

3. YaBoiD thread starter macrumors regular

YaBoiD

I agree that the quality isn't always optimal but why RESTRICT it? Especially when apps have similar functionality. AT&T/Verizon/Apple do not restrict these.