FaceTime??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jimmy007, Oct 3, 2012.

1. jimmy007 macrumors newbie

I tried doing FaceTime for the first time yesterday and it opened a pop-up saying I need to do it via wireless or activate cellular data (and to call AT&T or go to the website and activate the data). But didn't see an option on the website. I'm currently on a 2gb plan...do I need to be on a diff plan to be able to use FaceTime??

----------

It's an IP5 btw and I've never owned a phone before that had a front camera/vchat capability...

2. kre62 macrumors 68000

ATT blocked the capability on all but Mobile Share plans. It was a dick move. I'm moving to Verizon because of it.

3. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

You may have to change data plans. Call AT&T to see if you do.

4. pnoyblazed macrumors 6502a

yea u may need to get a 'mobile share' plan in order to use FaceTime over AT&T's network. You do not need to move to that plan if you are just trying to use FaceTime over Wi-Fi, however.

5. solo118 macrumors 65816

Not the biggest deal for me as I barely use Facetime, but its still a nasty business decision.

6. StephenAndrew macrumors member

Yeah, I was excited to be able to use facetime over cellular - only to realize I'd have to give up my individual unlimited data plan and pay more/get less with a shared data plan that I have no use for. Way to punish a loyal customer in good tenure for no reason other than to squeeze more money out of me. Dick move, ATT.

7. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Yeah. AT&T expects you to share data with yourself even if you own only one device. It's the most ridiculous plan I've ever heard of.

8. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Can't wait to jailbreak and facetime anytime I want again so I can give a big FU to att.

9. Mliii macrumors 65816

Mliii

FWIW, there is currently an FCC Complaint investigation about this very issue. Not holding my breath...:rolleyes:

10. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

I thought that was going to be an issue initially. However, we rarely use FaceTime. When we do, it is usually in a place where wi-fi is available.

11. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

I'm on Sprint, what is a Shared Plan exactly?

12. StephenAndrew macrumors member

A shared plan is where you have a lump of data (6GB, for example) that's shared among several devices, whether it be an iphone and an ipad - or you, your wife's, and your kids' phones.