Facetimers rejoice! Free Wifi on Starbucks starting on July 1

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by edtorious, Jun 14, 2010.

1. edtorious macrumors 65816

edtorious

http://starbucks.tekgroup.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=397

"Appearing at WIRED’s Business Conference Disruptive by Design today, Howard Schultz talked with WIRED’s Chris Anderson about “Evolving the Starbucks Experience in an Ever-changing World.” Schultz recounted the challenges of leading the Starbucks transformation following his return to the company as CEO in 2008. With a focus on lessons learned, Schultz’s talk included how the company sought to embrace social and digital media and continues to look for new ways to bridge the third place coffeehouse experience with the digital world. As part of this commitment, Schultz recognized customers’ desire for a better in store Wi-Fi experience and announced that on July 1, Starbucks will turn on one-click, free Wi-Fi through AT&T in all U.S. company operated stores."

:D I guess we'll probably see a lot of people at Starbucks doing Facetime then. :p

2. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

I saw that on the news today too! I was thinking the same thing. Great idea. ;)

3. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Excellent. So now Starbucks won't only be filled with self-important wannabe writers working on their screen plays on their shiny macbook pros so people can see them, they'll now be all video chatting with each other.

4. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Didn't iPhone users already have free WiFi @ SBux? Why would this change anything re: FaceTime?

5. MadMacxxx macrumors 6502a

MadMacxxx

Yes, I think they do. I don't see how this changes anything for FaceTime unless, at a later point in time, it were implemented through iChat or some desktop application.

6. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

Because it's free-use WiFi... makes it so much easier. As long as WiFi is set to automatically join other networks, it'd much simpler.

7. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

It's already free use for AT&T iPhone users. My iPhone auto-connects everytime I walk into a SBux. I don't have to do anything after joining the first location.

8. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

That's weird. I've never encountered that. Maybe it's cause I've never noticed it. Thanks for the good info. ;)

9. MadMacxxx macrumors 6502a

MadMacxxx

Do you have, "Ask to Join Networks," turned ON?

10. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

I feel like an iDiot now. ;) Thanks! Hahaha.

11. lilo777 macrumors 603

Yeah, that's great!

Speaking on their iPhone 4s:

He: "Dear I am missing you!"
    She: " I am missing you too".
    He: "How far are you from the Starbucks?"
    She: "About five miles."
    He: "Great. Could you get there so I could see you?"
    :D

12. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

Some idiot is going to spill hot coffee on their new iPhone 4 and their lap... lawsuits will follow.

13. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

No, I manually joined one SBux. Since they all use the same SSID, everytime I walk into an SBux, it auto-connects. In the beginning there was some stupid login process, but about a year ago AT&T did away with that. I assume now they know based on your MAC address they know you're on an iPhone.

14. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Such a steroetype of a Starbucks, in Los Angeles its like that. But I've been to plenty and just see nice folks browsing the web and such having fun! Not everyone is a script writing ******.

15. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Ok, Dallas is like that too....now I have to post this again....:D

My Great West Village Starbucks Experiment

16. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

I'm in Los Angeles.

17. SimonTheSoundMa macrumors 6502a

Starbucks have always been free to everyone in the UK, and I think the rest of the world. Odd there are charges in the USA.

18. Daiden macrumors 6502a

Daiden

This is actually BAD news for people wanting to use Facetime. Starbucks wifi has always been free for iPhones, but now that everyone in the building can get free wifi as well, prepare for incredibly slow video chat sessions due to limited bandwidth.

19. Geckotek macrumors G3

Geckotek

Agree to a point, but it was very easy to get free WiFi @ SBux in the past. All you had to do was get an SBux card and register it. So I'm not sure this will make it that much worse...guess we'll see.