Fact Checking Trump's Withdrawal from the Paris Accord Speech

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by samcraig, Jun 2, 2017.

1. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

Are you trying to piss me off?? ;) I just wish more people were pissed off. Our Potus is a disaster for many reasons primarily untruthfullness, terrible judgement, incompetence, and above all self interest.

2. Morpheo macrumors 65816

Morpheo

And you think this will convince the alternate facts brigade? Everything and everyone not in agreement with them is "fake" and wrong - why? Because they're right of course. Therefore everyone else is wrong. It's simple logic. QED! Obviously some among his "base" are as smart as the great leader.

3. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

An interesting opinion piece to go along with this, since Pittsburgh was dragged into it...

http://lifehacker.com/what-pittsburghers-know-about-the-environment-that-trum-1795741450

"The city itself is all about services, health care, technology, and the like. Eight years ago, we had a different guy as our brand-new president, and he said “Pittsburgh stands as a bold example of how to create new jobs and industries while transitioning to a 21st century economy.” Heck, we already have self-driving cars.

I’m not saying we’re perfect. Fracking is big business in our rural surrounding areas, and poses its own environmental issues that need to be taken care of. Meanwhile, the Pennsylvania Environmental Council just held a summit here to discuss how to reduce our dependence on coal-fired power plants. Our state produces a lot of greenhouse gases, and exports a lot of the country’s electricity. We’re on track to reduce emissions by a third by 2030, but need to go much farther. And so does the rest of the country.

We have a lot in common with the rest of the US on that count. Check out this data from Yale’s Climate Communication project on how people feel about reducing CO2 as a pollutant. A majority of us, in every single state, think this is something we need to do. And check out Pittsburgh’s color on the map: we’re not yellow or peach or orange. Pittsburgh pops out in cherry red. We know what’s up.
    "

4. Number-Six macrumors 6502

Number-Six

I think it's great that the president lets his 11 year old write his speeches.

5. oneMadRssn, Jun 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2017

oneMadRssn macrumors 601

oneMadRssn

:):) What do Trump and his dad have in common?

;);) They're both bad at knowing when to pull out. :eek::eek:

6. daflake macrumors 6502a

This was very interesting to read, thanks!

7. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

he won, you lost and the stupid agreement by obama was not in our best interest , get over it :D

8. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

He won. We all lost. And best interest is subjective based on all the data. And since you didn't read the whole accord, your comments are just as invalid as the liberals you slighted.

9. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

The agreement is stupid.
    I've read it all.

10. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

read enough to understand it was not in our best ECONOMIC interest , if pointing out liberals had no clue what was in it was "slighting" them then so be it.

11. daflake macrumors 6502a

He said he was going to renegotiate it... If that is the case then why pull out all together?

Seems to me that Trump likes to toss the baby out with the bath water.

12. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

reported earlier that Europe did NOT want to renegotiate, http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...ny-italy-joint-statement-latest-a7768266.html
    it was all or nothing so they got nothing, good riddance.

13. daflake macrumors 6502a

That was after he pulled us out though... I'm pretty sure if there was a meeting to discuss it first, they could have hammered out something he felt was more balanced.

Now they are just saying "go **** yourself", and I don't blame them actually.

Trump doesn't understand the art of negotiating.

14. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Economics is not the only criteria to measure whether something is worthwhile

As noted below - he assumed it could be renegotiated. Did he even consider the aspect in the fact check that the US could just stop paying into he fund?

It's no surprise other countries don't care to negotiate. It's well over 100 countries to.... one. Why would they want to? Or feel they need to? Trump just slapped them all in the face and pretty much called them freeloaders.

I don't agree.

15. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

if they are going to act like trump and insist in having things their way then I don't care, agreement was NOT in our best interest economically so it doesn't bug me.

16. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

Which means that climate change is less important for them than trying to sit at a table.

17. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

because they ARE free loaders, they get our money and we get empty unenforceable promises with no way to check them? good riddance.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 2, 2017 ---
    the money was more important to them,as well as seriously hitting our already crappy economy.

18. daflake macrumors 6502a

While I do agree that there are a lot of programs in which we participate that other countries greatly benefit from financially, this is one I don't really think was it and is fairly important.

Great, we got out of it, Trump better step up his **** to make sure that we are doing what we need to do to curb our emissions and get as green as possible. I'm sure he has a plan in place with this knee jerk reaction... Oh wait...

19. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

I have yet to see proof of the ginormous impact (negative) being in the accord is or would bring to the US. Can you point me to that data? If you're going to say 1B is the deep impact then I would say that although significant, it's a drop in the bucket.

20. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

republicans have control of house & senate & they can't even repeal oclueless care, so makes no difference if trump had any plans, it's not going anywhere.

21. samcraig thread starter macrumors P6

Perhaps he's like England when they received the Declaration of Independence. "Oh - they'll be back..."

22. darksithpro macrumors 6502

"The Green Climate Fund that President Trump referred to as a giveaway to countries that will compete with the U.S. economy is a planned assistance fund that would transfer aid from developed nations to developing nations. The goal is a continuing fund of $100 billion a year starting in 2020"

Uhm, NO! Sorry guys, don't want my tax dollars to go to other countries to they can eventually pollute less. We have 20 trillion in debt back at home. Trump is right, we need to fix our own debt issues before we hand out money to others...

23. daflake macrumors 6502a

Well, that is true... We lack any competence on either side of the fence.

24. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

20 trillion in debt, borrowed money to stay at war. we don't have a bucket to begin with.