Factors to consider before purchasing Applecare +?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by basketlacey, Apr 24, 2013.

1. basketlacey macrumors newbie

I just recently purchased my first iphone (the 5 from T-Mobile). We typically never buy extended warranties on anything. But I am seeing a lot of references to Applecare + on this forum. It appears that it is $99 for an additional year of support and 2 replacements at $49 if the phone breaks at my fault. Is that right?

I am not sure I am willing to add another $150 to my phone price but please help me understand why this is so popular. Should I expect that this phone won't last 2 years?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You can read about the details here:
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/S4575LL/A/applecare-for-iphone

Basically it covers accidental damage which is not covered by the standard warrant

3. barkomatic macrumors 68040

If you're going to keep the phone for the full two years I'd get it. Accidents happen, and these forums are filled with people who describe themselves as "very careful" who drop their phones and crack the screen or end up in the toilet or washing machine. You only pay that $49 deductible if you need a replacement as a result of accidental damage. If something like the home button fails its a free replacement.

If you don't get AppleCare then I think it's something like $229 or $299 for an out of warranty replacement.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Indeed, but it all depends on how prone you are to those accidents. At the risk of jinxing myself, I will say that in all the years of owning an iPhone or another smart phone I've not incurred an accident. I prefer to save myself the 150 dollars and roll the dice.

5. marcelo4527 macrumors member

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366807368.194270.jpg if you are like the people on the thread above this one LOL

6. 3rd Rock macrumors 6502

All one has to do is drop and break the phone just once, and they will wish they had AppleCare +. Even those that are very careful have accidents. ;)

Rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

It's not just about accidents either. What happens if your home button or sleep/wake button fails a year and a half after you buy the phone?

The basic one year warranty won't cover replacement because it's only for a year. But Applecare+ extends that coverage to another full year so you're covered.

Whether you are prone to accidents or not, no one can predict faults with the phone. And that is another frequent topic of discussion here, the failure of certain parts of the phone itself.

Note to the OP. Just be aware that Applecare+ (while great) does not cover loss or theft.

8. basketlacey thread starter macrumors newbie

So if my phone breaks out of warranty, I am out about $300 instead of $150 for the extended warranty? I think I am willing to gamble with that too. I thought I would be out another $600. And I was still pretty willing to gamble. I am pretty careful with my phone (and of course I am knocking on wood now!)

9. Mr-Kerrse macrumors 6502

Never had Applecare since it began & never needed it saved myself a fortune :apple:

10. takeshi74, Apr 24, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2013

takeshi74 macrumors 601

Why it's popular doesn't really matter. It's like any other extended warranty and/or insurance. You have to make the call for yourself based on your preferences.

$229. Click on "Warranty & Service Pricing" and then "My iPhone is not eligible for warranty service. What are my service options?":
    http://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=servicefaq&geo=United_States&product=iphone

11. dewthedru macrumors regular

then you're due for one! :p

12. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

<SIGH
    <SIGH>
    I seem to hear this attitude a lot here. That's ok I guess, personal preference and all.

But try applying that argument down at your state DMV (MVD). "Honest, I don't need car insurance. I've never been in an accident and I'm pretty careful. Nothing will happen! No really, I'm willing to gamble that I won't hit anyone and that no one will hit me!"

Yes, I know, there's really no comparison because the state requires you to have car insurance and we're talking about phones, not cars. But my point is that as careful as you may be – there's always someone/something else out there. Consider it as a warranty/insurance protecting you not from yourself, but from others and/or your environment.

13. Bear macrumors G3

AppleCare+ is $99 for the iPhone, not $150. And you only pay the $49 if the damage was your fault.

14. Mrbobb, Apr 24, 2013

Mrbobb macrumors 601

The perceived popularity is because people who ask and want it, post. Those of us without don't post nor have the need to say we don't have it. Is kind of like going to be hospital, if that's all you see, you go, "wow, what's wrong, how come so many sick people?"

One school of thought says NEVER buy extended warranty.

However, if you are not technically inclined, need often handholding by live people (going into a store), and a broken phone is a major stress to your life and wallet, then go ahead buy the insurance.

Applecare does not cover lost/stolen. Recently there is a thread about that. Am aware some carrier, I believe Verizon, not sure, THEIR insurance cover lost, so shop around for what kind of coverage u need.

15. SC54HI macrumors member

SC54HI

VZ offers the TEC/Asurion coverage which includes damage, breakage, malfunction, loss & theft. It's about $10 a month per iPhone. I think the rates are similar for other carriers who offer this type of thing.

FWIW, Consumer Reports recommends against purchasing these things since they are really just extended warranties. They cite a survey (perhaps of their subscribers) indicating that about 15% of cell phone owners need to replace damage/break or a malfunctioning phone and about 2% need to replace lost or stolen phones. They recommend just keeping your old smartphone & reactivating it in case your new one stops working or is lost or stolen.

16. Pinkstiletto66 macrumors 6502

Off hand do you know if Tmobile offers this or no? I know most offer insurance where you pay monthly.

17. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Sorry, can't use that comparison. Let forget for a moment about legality.

If you have and old $500 clunker, and that's all you have to worry about, the heck with insurance.

But #1, fixing a new'ish car is expensive, and #2 (and this is the big one) LIABILITY to the other party is the big risk.

So for car, you ALWAYS buy insurance, period. If you damage your phone, I venture to guess nobody else but you are bothered.

18. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Did you miss the follow on statement in my post? Here it is…

"Yes, I know, there's really no comparison because the state requires you to have car insurance and we're talking about phones, not cars. But my point is that as careful as you may be – there's always someone/something else out there. Consider it as a warranty/insurance protecting you not from yourself, but from others and/or your environment."

In the opinion I have made above I am not arguing that everyone should get Applecare+. That's up to you, if you want to go ahead. If not, then don't. I merely used the car insurance example to indicate that not all accidents are caused because we aren't careful.

Fires still happen. Floods, earthquakes, someone crashing their car into your house (happens a lot in Arizona), co workers who don't watch what they are doing, etc. Again, my point is that you can be as careful as you like and still end up with a damaged iPhone.

Now for some people $229 is pocket change and they have no problems with not having extended warranties. In my case, $229 is a lot of money and if I broke my iPhone without Applecare+ it would be several months before I could replace it. So. spending an additional $99 for my peace of mind was worth it for me.

19. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

The reason you are required to have insurance on a car isn't because of your property. It's because of the potential damage you do to another persons property (or life for that matter). $20,000 damage in an accident isn't exactly disposable income for nearly anyone. You total another person's car, they shouldn't have to foot the bill.

----------

And actually on topic, people should be buying their phones with credit cards that add an extra warranty. If that's not an option, I agree, apple care is a good value.

20. eyoungren, Apr 24, 2013

eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I know. I wasn't comparing the two. I was merley using the one (car insurance) to point out exactly what you point out here.

Let me try it this way. Not buying Applecare+ because you are careful with your iPhone and have never had an accident and are not clumsy is a good choice if all of that is true. But even if true, you cannot account for other people.

I've been driving for 26 years and I've had exactly two accidents. Both were fender benders and the first one occured when I was 16 and dumb about driving. The second because someone backed in to me at a light and damaged the plastic on my bumper. I consider myself to be a competant driver, yet I have had many, many close calls because of other drivers. There is no way I can afford to replace a car, even cheap, so I drive with a protective mentality. But I still can't account for the idiot driver out there. No amount of insurance will protect me from that. Only the fact that I HAVE paid will make things right AFTER the damage has been done.

So, again my point…I'm careful with my iPhone. But if someone else damages it or some event does, I want protection.

21. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

That's fair, I guess. But that's not what you said originally, at all. You did oreface it with it not being comparable, and you were absolutely right (which is why im baffled you made the comparison at all). It might have been more fitting for renters insurance or homeowners insurance, I think.

Also, if someone else damages my phone, you can bet they are paying for a replacement. I'm not going to be out $150 either way. But I get your point. I'd be much more willing to sing Apple's praise on Apple care plus if I wasn't gambling $100 on the chance to save $80 (maybe $260 if I destroy two phones in two years). It makes much more sense, I think, to put $5-10 aside per month in case you need to get your phone repaired out of warranty. But most people don't think that way. Most people don't save for anything haha.

22. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I don't frequently make a lot of sense, so confusion is understandable. :D
    I was looking for a comparison at the time and I ran with that. Bad example, poorly explained.

You had better believe if someone else damages my iPhone I will get my money back one way or the other. But having Applecare+ allows me to replace the phone while I am pursuing the person who damaged my phone. Without it I'd have to wait to be paid first or save up for it and I'd be out a phone that entire time.

As to saving, you're right. :) I'm not too good at that, but something I'm working on anyway.

23. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

It's cool bud. I think what you were trying to say is "one does not have to be accident prone to have an accident" ;)

And I agree. I'm never the guy to say insurance is a bad idea just because I've never had to use it before. However, there are a handful of alternatives
    To apple care that can make more sense, on an individual basis, of course. As mentioned before, check with credit card companies if you have one. I know Amex will replace your damages phone (you charge the replacement on your Amex card too and they reimburse it once you send them proof), and I think Disxover does this too. It's basically free insurance, though you have to wait a while to get your refund processed.

24. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Yep, exactly what I was trying to say. Thanks!

As to other methods such as credit cards, etc absolutely. Whatever works best or best fits your situation. In my case, this was Applecare+ at the time I bought my iPhone. But everyone's needs/requirements are different.