Factory unlock

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ZCherub, Jul 9, 2012.

1. ZCherub macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

Called ATT the other day and requested an unlock. I received an email with a PDF stating that I can complete the unlock process by connecting to iTunes and doing a backup/resotre. I was also told while on the phone that a follow up would be done tomorrow.

Is the email w/ the PDF the last step in this process (besides me connecting and unlocking), or should I wait on another communication from ATT. I ask because most members here seem to be waiting longer than 20 mins for an unlock, and I had this email right after my call to them... Just want to be sure I don't jump the gun.

Thanks!

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

The email is the entire process. Once it is complete iTunes itself will tell you your iPhone is unlocked.

3. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

I got the PDF email from AT&T and I did a backup and restore but never got the unlocked message from iTunes... This happen to anyone else? now I'm not sure if I am unlocked or not. I tried it twice but no luck.

4. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

Put in another sim and you'll know.

5. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

Yeah I know that's the only way to really find out. But I don't really know anyone with T-Mobile and even if I did I would have to cut up their sim card to micro-sim size so that's not really feasible. I was just wondering if anyone else had NOT gotten the unlocked message in iTunes but discovered their phone was unlocked anyways.

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Check here.
    http://www.dev.mk/

It's pretty accurate (testing with my iPhones)

7. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

Damn says I am still locked. How reliable is that service? Want to make sure before I call AT&T back.... But with me not getting the message in iTunes and this it's looking like I am still locked.

Locked Status: LOCKED Click here for unlocking solution!
    Carrier: AT&T USA

8. ZCherub thread starter macrumors 6502a

ZCherub

Thanks for the confirmation, Jav.

bigj - I would be concerned about this too. I'm currently jailbroken, and if I get an error in iTunes while restoring for some reason, I'd hate to miss the unlock pop up and be left wondering - mainly because I don't want to feel like I'm screwing someone over if I sell my phone thinking it's unlocked and it's not....

I'm also a bit concerned because ATT seemed to have a problem confirming my IMEI no. when I gave it to them over the phone... Let me know if you find a definite way to confirm this...

Thanks again, all!

9. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Yeah I'd probably agree and say that you're still locked. Try using atts online chat. They've had a better reputation.

10. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

So according to ATT online chat rep, my imei is unlocked. So I guess I'll have to get a T-mobile sim some how to know once and for all..... I would really like to know so I can advertise it as such when I sell it.