Factory Unlocked 3.1.2 3GS with new bootrom: What are my jailbreaking options?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by wiretapMD, Apr 8, 2010.

1. wiretapMD macrumors member

Guys, I know this may have been asked several times already but I would like to solicit your patience again in answering my question. I hope somebody could clearly explain to me what should I do.

I have a factory unlocked 3.1.2 3GS (HongKong purchased unit) with the new bootrom that I wish to jailbreak. What are my current options? What should I do? I saved my SHSH files to Saurik's server last week using Umbrella. I would greatly appreciate anyone's enlightenment. Thank you very much.

2. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Redsn0w, don't restore first, skip that step. It will be tethered jailbreak, at least for now. iClarified for tutorial.

3. ml2k1 macrumors member

i thought you couldn't save 3.1.2 info any more since apple stopped signing 3.1.2?

4. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

He saved 3.1.3 hashes.

5. wiretapMD thread starter macrumors member

Just playing devil's advocate here...what if after following your steps and I get to have a tethered jailbreak, then for some reason later on, something happens to my phone that I need to do a restore. What happens then? Am I forced to upgrade to 3.1.3 since my 3.1.2 SHSH weren't stored previously? Based from all my readings here in the forum, everyone is always saying that it is best to remain at 3.1.2 so as not to compromise any future options of untethered jailbreaking should there ever be one.

6. luvu01 macrumors regular

i think since your iphone is factory unlocked you should update to the iphone 4.0 because almost all of the best cydia app are now in 4.0. 4.0 has the best multitasking i have ever seen;however, you will not be able to downgrade if you wanted to atleast for now

7. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Yes, you would not be able to restore to 3.1.2. If you had old bootrom there is a cheat, but not for new bootrom.

8. wiretapMD thread starter macrumors member

So are you trying to say that even if I let my phone remain as it is now and not proceed with a jailbreak, if by some unfortunate chance that my phone hangs and I need to restore, I have no choice but to restore to 3.1.2?

9. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Correct. But vanilla iPhones rarely crash and need restored.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, you can thank Apple for that :D
    They wont let any 3GS model restore to anything but the latest firmware.

11. medicscott macrumors 6502a

medicscott